Sunday, May 31, 2015

Day and Night 61 - Winchester!

What a great morning it was! I made it to Lexington with relative ease. Sunday morning and traffic wasn't bad. Then Bam! Everything changed. Everybody decided to go get out in their car, and drive on US60. As I was coming into Lexington, I decided to eat lunch, before I crossed it. I did, then set back out for the long trek across Lexington. It was a nice city! Lots to see, and I went through their downtown area. It seemed like it would be a relatively straight shot through. But leave it to me to mess it up. I did make a turn or two in the downtown area that required re-routing on my part. I was distracted with homeless people interested in "my cart", one-way streets, and trying to follow US60 through downtown. I lost a little (well, more than a little) time there today, but made it out with everything that I had going into it. That was success! I stopped at the edge of town - just as the "last" services were available before the next big town (Winchester, about 20 more miles). The McDonald's was my choice, as I could get a tea there. The hot fudge sundae called my name, and I answered. The young 16 yr old who took my order asked how much I had just run. He opened that can of worms up. I said, "From Frankfort, and I'm heading to Winchester". The look on his face was priceless. I told him what I was doing, and he responded, "How can you do that?" I said, "You just keep putting one foot in front of the other, and you get there.". He responded, "I'm going to play in the NBA!". I told him I know he will. And he knew I meant it. I told him we can all do whatever we set our mind to. And I'll look for him in about 5 years in the NBA. I took my ice cream, sat down, and begin to relax a minute. I look up, and there he is. With his hot fudge sundae (and French fries), sitting down in the seat across from me at my table. Break time for him......he said, "I find you fascinating ". I told him I found him fascinating, too. His immediate response of his dreams, to watching me live my dreams, made us kindred spirits. We were in the Mutual Admiration's Club together. We sat and talked for at least 30 min. He told me about what he sees his future holding for him.....great things. This young man is determined! He found my story interesting......that I would not just say I was going to run across America.....but that I was doing it. He liked that. He talked about how society places limits on people, when in fact, the only limits we have are in our own mind. We agreed we can do anything - if you want it bad enough. His mom (he doesn't know his dad), has raised him well. She supports him, encourages him, and wants him to never let anything stop him from getting his education, and going to the NBA. What a good Mama!! He asked me many questions, about my life and about my Crossing. We talked about God's Will for us in life. He's a believer that God's Will will be done. That we can try to live by our own Will's......but ultimately, it's up to God. We agreed on that 100%. His faith, at such a young age, is so strong. Inspiring. He said, "When I'm not sure if I can do something, I'm going to think of you.". That was touching. That moment in McD was 'meant to be' today. We shared our faith, our passions, our philosophies, as we each ate our hot fudge sundae. Very surreal.  Very memorable. I will look for Stephen in about 5 years in the NBA.
I left McD and Stephen, and started making my way to Winchester. It would be a long, hard struggle. No shoulder, white line, rumble strip. And LOTS of traffic, and it equals misery. I did get it done. It was a hard afternoon. David called and talked to me several times. He could hear my weary voice, my beat-down of the afternoon, and kept encouraging me. I appreciated it so much. As I got to Winchester, to top it all off, there was construction on US60 through town. I was being tested......one obstacle after another. But I was determined, and I did get through town and to my motel. My goal was to get to the other side of town so I could get out easily in the morning. Just hop on US60, and in about a mile or two, be away from town-traffic, anyway.
Speaking of.....tomorrow will be unique. I'm going to TRY and sleep in. It's going to rain, and I'm going to make it a short day to Mount Sterling. That's my tentative plan. It could change - depending on weather, but we'll see what the day brings. I plan on starting later on in the morning. Not early.
Hygiene Report:
I showered for what seemed like forever. It felt extra wonderful today. Lots of lotion, and some foot care. I will stay up a little later, as in going to try and sleep til around 7?!? What?!? I'm going to try to.
There are several motels around here, but no food in walking distance. Odd. But I ordered food, and they delivered it. Seems this is normal here, as there's no restaurant's around. I got a chicken sandwich - and it was delicious. That what the motel girl said to get. She's right, it was good!
I'm staying at the Quality Inn in Winchester, and it's really, really nice. I'm even going to be here in the morning to go have their breakfast. That will be a first! In 61 days, I'm finally going to eat a breakfast  that the hotel puts out.
Not sure what time I'll start tomorrow. Depends on the rain. We'll see how it goes.

Happy Monday to you all!
Cyndi

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have always known that you have a special gift with your talents and your positive attitude, but this past two months have really shown how people are drawn to you....just like this young man at McDonalds!!
One of the things I will remember about your trip as the people you have meet/experienced along the way! It really has shown that people are inherently good! :) (At least they have been along US60...lol)