Sunday, May 3, 2015

Day 33 and Night 33 - Fun in Oklahoma!

The morning starts out unusual. I'm at a Best Western on the 3rd floor. You know what that means, I have to put my cart in the elevator, and bring it downstairs (which opens to the breakfast area, dang it), and look all crazy, around people who are normal. I get in the elevator with my cart, and in walks a oil field worker, in his heavy red work jumpsuit, staring a hole through my cart. I say, "I'm running across America ", in a attempt to justify myself. He surprises me by saying, "I'm going to work. Wish I was doing something FUN like run across America.". WAIT! Someone just said "fun" and "run across America " in the same sentence! And not in a bad way. He was very nice, and looked to be daydreaming about doing anything - besides go to work. We both exited the elevator, and he wished me well. I declined the breakfast, because it didn't look all that great. But I did just have a banana and PB in my room. Also, a thousand oil field workers were occupying the tables. I felt like a pink elephant in the midst of all the grey ones.
Off I go. Onto US60, with a little later start than usual. It's kind of nice because it gets "light" fast that way, and I can see the road nicely. I'm feeling a little sluggish, so I start out slow. The last two days I've moved nicely, but it was also flat. Now, it's rolling, and time to start pushing the cart again. I move along, and get to Glacier. Nothing there. I keep moving. After another 18 ish miles, I get to Higgins. I'm hustling there, because, after all, it's Sunday. That means everything is 1) closed, 2) closing at 2, or 3) closed. Sure enough, there's one place in town with 3 cars in front of it. It's a place that looks like there's nothing there. Upon closer inspection, I notice it says Donut Shop. Yum! I open the screen door, and notice immediately that it's a Cafe! There is one table with 3 (older) couples sitting together. There is a lady with an apron on, and a man (her adult son), also working there. The people at the table stare at me like Jesus had just walked in the Cafe.....that's the look on their faces. With everyone staring, I say, "hello!". They respond, then immediately start arguing about who has seen me the most, where they have seen me, and talking as if I'm invisible. One of the men start by saying to me, "I saw you in White Deer yesterday", another says, "I saw you coming out of Amarillo the other day". I explain what I'm doing, and it all begins to make sense. The lady in the apron interrupts, and asks me if I'd like the "special ". I tell her that she can pick what she would like me to have, and the man-worker says, "I'll bring you the run across America special!!". Cool. It takes him no time to put together a plate of fresh fried chicken (lady in aprons recipe), mashed potatoes, gravy, Texas toast, corn and salad. Iced tea, and also blueberry cobbler. Plopped down right in front of me! As I eat at the table nearby the only people in there, they continue to ask lots of questions. I stayed there an hour! I had a blast! They wanted to go outside and look at the cart, and we all just sat and visited together. The lady in the apron, and her adult son were so kind to me. They cook their food there like we would. In regular pots and pans, the cobbler in a glass Pyrex pan, just like being at your grandmas house. Screen door and all. I said my good byes and headed out. But not before the lady in the apron had me sign "her book". It's a book she likes to have special guests who eat there, sign. Very sweet.
Now I have my remaining miles left, that will lead me to Oklahoma, and into Arnett. Where David will be later on!! Any sluggish-ness I felt earlier that morning has disappeared. As I move along, I have multiple people stop and inquire about "seeing me" over the last day or two.....and what I'm doing. This must be a well-traveled area for people driving back and forth to work. So they see me early in the am, and then later that day. Interesting, to them. One man pulled over, rolled down his window, and said, "Are you crossing?". I loved it that he knew what I was doing!!! Turns out he is a ultra runner, too! We talked a little while, and as soon as he drove off, someone else stopped. He was checking to see if I'm okay. He had seen me that morning. I could go on and on, but this phenomenon ebbs and flows. Some days more than others.
I am now really fired up about getting to Arnett, as David is getting close! I finally get into town, and see the motel. David is there! I'm so excited to see him!! It's been a fun-filled day of 40 miles, but this is the best part!!!! I hug his neck, we catch up, and he has brought me tons and tons of all my favorite foods!! Including a Qdoba quesadilla from the OkCity area. How cool is that?! I attack the cupcake first. After all, there's icing on it!!! I'm so happy he is here. I needed to see him, catch up, and spend some time with him.
So I will close for now. I'm going to hang out and relax with my sweetie. I'm a lucky girl!
Tomorrow, we head to Seiling. David will most likely head out in the morning. He has a decent drive back.
Hope your Sunday was nice as well,
Cyndi

No comments: