Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Day 43 - Aurora, after all

The day started out in the usual fashion. We were in Neosho, MO this morning, and met at a little later time due to John getting in late the night before. We talk, visit, and review plans for the day, as well as the next day. This morning, Wednesday, the plan was 1) Aurora today, 2) Springfield - South/Battlefield area, tomorrow. I made the motel arrangements, and we are set.
Off we go, I pull ahead and find my pace to start the day. There's some headwind today - and hills/climbing. I'm adjusting.....slower ups, easy downs. After about a hour, John lets me know he does not think he can make it to Aurora, and will stop in Monett. So I change his motel for him, and get him a place reserved in Monett. I leave my plans as they are, as I'm thinking I will go to the scheduled stop today after all. Mostly because rain is coming, and if I can do 12-14 more miles without rain, I will do that! Long story, short. John is in Monett, and I'm in Aurora. This would not be an issue, except that it's raining tomorrow. This limits our movement, slows us down, and then things become less predictable. I don't have a good plan yet for our next stop. I'm going to still try and stick with the plan of getting to Springfield/South/Battlefield area tomorrow. I'm not starting until later in the morning, as that's when the rain is showing to "let up" a bit. If the weather changes, my departure time will change based on when it's least likely to rain. John is going to do the same, except he will still start earlier. So we will meet back up, we always do. And it will all shake out within a day or so. I'll keep you posted. Just know you may not see me moving at my usual early time in the morning. I just may (gasps) sleep in a little.
The day today went well. About 42-43 miles, with some hills going on. I stopped and ate in Monett, then moved down the road to Aurora. It sprinkled on me a couple of times in the afternoon. But it never rained on me. I got to the Aurora Inn, which appears to be the only motel in Aurora? The man (see previous blog) had told me how great it was, it's remodeled, and "I'll love it!". I get here, check in, go to my room, and realize that is all a cruel, cruel joke. To them, this is improved. I guess my expectations were set too high, as I was disappointed. After they came to my room to fix the TV, then the AC, I settled in. Just so you know, when I came in the room, set my stuff down, and went over to the sink.......that's when I saw it - the flying bug. It's not a "fly", but some kind of gnat. Dang. I try three times to kill it, but even though it's slow-flying, its deceptive. Oh well, moving on. I need to find dinner. Sometimes I feel like I'm on that show Naked and Afraid. Have you seen it? Two people who have to survive on a deserted place for 21 days. Anyway, I set out in search of food. I decide the closest place is the Walmart. I went and got a roasted chicken, frozen green beans, and a avocado. Yep, this will do. It's real food, and sounds great! I take it back to the motel, and microwave my green beans, in a microwave that was made the first week a microwave was ever made. Dials on it. I hope it would work. It did, but takes about three times as long to heat something. Better than NO microwave!! I eat my food like a savage. I have no plate. What is wrong with me? I'll need time to transition back into society after this trek is done. Kind of like people do when they get out of prison. Re-adjust to the norms and expectations of society.
So to recap, my plan is to go about 32 miles tomorrow, and wait for John. This is all weather permitting.
Hygiene Report:
I did shower, and it was very nice. No laundry done today. They do not have washers here.  I'm probably just gonna get wet tomorrow, anyway. So maybe tomorrow night I can wash it all. I'll get my cart rain-ready tomorrow morning. Everything in trash bags, plastic bags. My Spot satellite device, and phone, in a Baggie of rice.
So let's see what happens! It's always exciting!!
Cyndi

No comments: