Saturday, May 2, 2015

The Most Common FAQ

1) Where is John? Do you and John run together? Do you and John stay together during the day?

These, and other similar related questions are the most common questions I am getting right now. I will start by saying this, John and I did stay together at the beginning of the Crossing.  I was worried about getting lost, making the correct turns, knowing where I was going, and just taking care of myself, on the road, in general. Over the first week or two, I stayed at his pace, with him, as he taught me everything from how and when to supply my cart, where the turns are, to what our route would be, and basically the "Road rules ". As time went on, we passed through the mountains, the canyon,  and it was when we were moving through Arizona, that I started moving ahead each day at my own pace. Then, later in the day, I would stop and wait for him. We would then move to our final location of the day together. Then,  as time progressed further, I became more confident. I would walk/run with him in the mornings, and we would discuss what the day with hold. Then I would move forward at my own pace, and meet him at our final location of the day. This included finding camping sites, as well.  As time progressed, I stayed with him less and less. I moved along at my own pace during the day, and would meet him at our final location at the end of each day. He and I had an understanding that this was working out well, and we had found our "balance", to be able to maintain our own pace, and meet up at designated places.
This process was working well, until we had a few very long mileage days, and the bad weather hit.  John fell behind, and begin getting into towns in the wee morning hours.  This, along with the bad weather days, separated us further.  We were texting each other, and he was still wanting to go the full mileage each day, even though he was getting in very late.  I continued to move forward along our designated schedule, as did he, at his own pace.  I did go three days without seeing him,  as we passed back-and-forth through motels and towns.
I did see him last night in Pampa, and we decided what our next 2 to 3 days would be like, and what the mileage will be along the way.  It may be that we pass back-and-forth in towns, because our pace is so different. I prefer to run, slow jog or fast walk. He prefers some light running, but mostly walking. We both get the miles completed, but just at a different pace and time. We have found our routine, our balance, and our ability to communicate throughout each and every day.
He has taught me how to live on the side of the highway, how to take care of myself, what the road rules are, and continues to be a mentor for me out here.  It's working out very well, and I do feel safe.
Most people cross the United States alone.  It's easier to only have to take care of yourself, look out for yourself, and worry about yourself.  John and I have worked out our team aspect of this crossing. We are both happy with the situation, and look forward to a great finish!
Cyndi