Friday, May 22, 2015

Day 52 - Bridge Success!

The day started early, and I am on a mission to 1) Be in three states today (Missouri, Illinois, and Kentucky), 2) Cross two bridges (Mississippi River and Ohio River), and 3) Make my way to Paducah (50 ish miles, after all).
Going down the interstate was much better this time! It was nice, I was on it early, and there was very little traffic. I arrived at the first bridge, over the Mississippi just after sunrise. It was gorgeous. It had a 3 ft shoulder, just enough for me. I made it across without incident. Nice! Now, it's time to exit right away, and get off the now-Illinois interstate. I do so, loop around to US51, and start relaxing a bit. Little did I know two police cars were patiently waiting for me. I wasn't even on US51 for 1/4 mile.  They asked me if I had been on the interstate, and crossed the bridge?  Even though they knew the answer, they wanted to hear it from me.  Yes, I told them I had indeed done both of those things, I explained I am running across America and this was my only way to get across the river. I told them Trooper Stewart from Sikeston had instructed me to do so. One of the officers knew Trooper Stewart. Did he give you these instructions? Yes, he did. We all agreed that everything was okay,  and they explained that I was not in trouble.  But, they said I would not be able to cross the next bridge over the Ohio River, on foot. They had already contacted Kentucky authorities, who would ensure that we would not cross on foot. It was just too dangerous. The officer said I would need to find a ride, and that would be the only way I could go across. They said to go to the bottom of the bridge, wait, and find a ride. They said that was not illegal, and encouraged me to put my cart,  and myself, in the back of someone's truck, to get across the bridge.  They excused me at that point, said I may go, and off I went. I called John to tell them what the police had said, because the police had asked me to do so. We both knew because the police were "making" us get a ride across the bridge, that there was no other option.
I got to the bottom of the bridge, and stopped. I have not hitchhiked before. A car went by, and I waited. A pickup truck was coming, and I did it, I put my thumb out. The man driving was a little surprised, and skeptical. But he stopped! I went over to his truck, and explained my dilemma. He said he would be happy to allow me to ride in the back of his truck to get across the bridge. I was elated! I did it! I got a ride!! We loaded my cart into the back of his truck, and then I jumped in and sat next to it. He drove across the bridge, at what seemed at a very high rate of speed. And as soon as we were across the bridge, he pulled over, we unloaded my cart, and I thanked  him over and over. I tried to pay him, but he would not take any money. He went along his way, and I started down the road again, now in Kentucky. Three states, two police, one hitchhiking incident, all in just the morning.

Kentucky is lush. Huge, green, tall trees everywhere, hanging over the road. But! No shoulder. It was maybe one foot, if I was lucky. And, it had those ripples strips in it. This is going to take me a long time to get across Kentucky! Off and on the highway, I was dodging cars, cars were dodging me. This will take a while. But what can you do, just keep moving.
I went through many nice towns today. My favorite was LaCenter. I stopped there for a late lunch at Smokey D's. I had a BBQ sandwich, with cole slaw. It was absolutely delicious!  There were multiple people there who saw me during the day, on the road. I answered many questions while I was there, from the people who saw me today.  In addition, the people who work there just seemed like family. They were kind to me, embraced me, and made me feel welcome. When I went to go pay, the girl said that someone had already paid for my lunch. I asked if she would tell me who it is so I could thank them. She pointed them out, they were the ones that had the most questions. I went over and thanked them for my meal, and we talked a little more. They said they would put me on the prayer list at church, and pray for my safety. I said my goodbyes, and felt like I had had a group hug, as everyone was so supportive and embracing of my journey. What a positive experience it was.
Fast forward, I'm now on the outskirts of Paducah. I will make it there tonight, to the Super 8, which  is just before interstate 24. John will not be making it here, as he says he's going to stop in La Center, when he gets there.
More to follow, as things progress. Not sure of our plans yet for tomorrow, I will need to check the weather first. Rain is coming again. Minimal shoulders and rain will make for shorter days.
Cyndi

I miss my Missouri shoulders!

No comments: