Thursday, May 28, 2015

Day and Night 58 - Muldraugh today

I didn't leave all that early this morning, and started down US60. I knew right away the shoulder was going to be another battle today. I had heavy fog, as well. It's SO pretty! But with a small shoulder, limited sight/vision, I needed to be watchful, and have my lights flashing. I realized I'm more worried about causing an accident for others, than getting hit. Don't get me wrong, I'm very vigilant, and watching, so I don't get hit. But the risk is always there, for a car to swerve, and have an accident because of me. I took my time today, getting on and off the road where need be. It's important to go ahead and take the time to do that, even though it takes longer. "Safety is not a accident ".  I'm continuing to be mindful in these types of situations. I may have taken longer getting here, but I feel like it's worth it - for me - and the drivers, to be extra careful.

Traveling through the town of Irvington, the eastern time zone change took effect.  It stole an hour from me. That will be our last time change.

I entered Meade County along the way, and had a representative from their paper, The Messenger, pull over to stop and talk with me. He is unsure of what will be published, if anything, but at least wanted to gather some information for the community. I'm not really sure what it all meant, but it was a nice break along the way.

As I approached Muldraugh, I could not help but notice the military presence. I felt proud to be around it all. Stations, substations, "Soldier Training Areas", and unusual (to me) planes flying overhead. Then I moved into the Fort Knox area. Army Strong! I enjoyed it, it was refreshing, and I had no idea I would be seeing it all today. What a nice surprise.

I did want to clarify, there were small patches of a wider shoulder today. I was so thankful each time I had that. No matter what the distance. John called me, as I had told him about my police/shoulder situation yesterday. They put me up on a opposite shoulder (going with the flow of traffic), and what I forgot to tell you was that it was not paved, it was small gravel. It was safer, but harder to push the cart on. I forgot to tell John that it was gravel, and not paved. He experienced that today (he's a "day" behind me). He was not pleased. It's more work, but safer. Aaaahhh, I'll remember Kentucky 'fondly' after this time on their roads. It's gorgeous here, the people are super nice and helpful, and I love the rolling hills.

Now tomorrow, I will get around Louisville! The last time I was in Louisville, I was there to participate in the Louisville Ironman (about a year and a half ago, now). We swam in the Ohio River (and I still can't believe that, it's pretty dirty), biked around the area (I remember the hills), then ran the marathon in the downtown area. It was a nice marathon course. I'm not sure how getting around the city, and back to US60 will go - with my cart - but it will be a adventure in itself.

Tonight, I'm staying at the Golden Manor Inn and Suites in Muldraugh. It's pretty nice!! I showered, and also washed my icky clothes in an actual washer. I love it when a motel/hotel has laundry facilities. It's a treat for me! It's my one thing that always makes me feel good in the morning, allows me to start my day with a fresh attitude - and fresh smelling. The fresh smelling part is short lived. But that's okay, it's part of it all. My life won't always be like that. And that's comforting.

It did not rain (on me!) today. Yay!!! It threatened, but did not get me. There is still rain in the next few days forecast, I just always hope it's not too bad (stormy). I'll hold a good thought.

David told me that the truck he bought, was delivered today. When I get a picture from him, I'll post it on Instagram. I think it's a 1968? Re-done, new engine, etc. How exciting!

TGIF for you all tomorrow! I hope it's a sun shiny Friday for everyone.
Cyndi


1 comment:

marv skagerberg said...

Looks like John is about 37 miles back as of right now, so it does look like most of a day. you are going so great.