Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Day and Night 56 - Owensboro and Rain

I left the comfort of the Bed and Breakfast early this morning. It was still dark, and I was unsure of the rain situation. All I knew is that it wasn't raining - at that time - and I would get as far as I could before the rain starts. While leaving Henderson, the folks from neighboring towns were coming into it for work, I presumed. There was so much traffic, and I was vigilant in watching each and every car as they would go by me. My shoulder is thin, and I must be mindful. I knew with time, the traffic would slow, and the roads would be calmer.....once most everyone got to work. And that when happened, it was a much more peaceful US60. There would not be much between Henderson and Owensboro, per Mary and Norris. They were right. There was a cafe in a small town, about 8 miles outside of Owensboro. I hesitated to stop, as the clouds were dark and the wind was strong. But I did, and had a piece of peanut butter pie. OMGoodness, that would get me the rest of way, no problem. My miles were uneventful today, with the exception of a lady who slowed to ask me, "Where am I?!". I told her she was about 6 miles outside of Owensboro, on US60 East. She seemed surprised. Once she processed the information I had given her, she asked me if I wanted a ride there. No thanks, I replied, and I explained what I was doing. She said she hoped I would beat the rain there. I thought:  Me, too.
I was at the edge of town when I realized I would not beat the rain there. It won, again. I did take shelter for about 20 min because it was literally pouring buckets. I was under an awning, at a business. It was nice to miss that drenching. Rain is one thing, "pouring" rain is another. When it lightened up, I mosey'd back out in it. There was no thunder or lightening, so that was nice.
I was looking for a place to eat, but it appeared the part of town I was going through would not be conducive for that. I kept going. As I made my way downtown, I found the Hampton Inn. And let me tell you, it's a nice one here in Owensboro. And the best part is, I have lots of time to enjoy it today!
I checked in, and put my cart in the room. I did the usual taking of items out to dry. Then went downstairs to their restaurant to eat. Good choice. I had a hamburger, and my side item was squash and zucchini. It was so good, I know I will have dinner there as well. No need to go out and about. My window faces the Ohio River, and I'm going to relax today. I'll plan my next few days, which will lead me toward Louisville. And, I will do some yoga. Definitely time to unwind. It's been a eventful few days.
Tomorrow, I want to try to get to Hardinsburg. It's between 45-50 miles, so the rest today will help me tomorrow. If it's too rainy, I will stop short tomorrow. John is still behind me a little bit, so it will all work itself out. If it's nice weather, I'll keep moving.
Hygiene Report:
Do you know it's been 56 days since I put on any makeup? My eyebrows are a hot mess. The hairs on my chiny chin chin are almost braid-able. In the whole grand scheme of things, I would consider myself very 'granola' about now. The Amish would embrace my back-to-nature self. I'm going to stay ah la natural until the bitter end. Then some poor soul will be horrified at the work my eyebrows will need. I will pay dearly to have them cleaned up, and it will be worth it.
I did shower today, and even shaved my legs. Watch out.....I have no idea who would notice otherwise. This wonderful hotel has laundry facilities for guests, so my wet clothes are now clean again. Even though they get dirty the very next day, in no time flat, it feels good to put on clean clothes in the morning. My cart is drying out, and I will re-wrap everything again in the morning. Always being ready for the rain just makes things less stressful out on the road.
I find my mood is much more joyous when the skies are blue and clear.

John and I agreed today that we can tell a noticeable difference in our bodies. They are more tired than usual, do not want to "bounce back" like they used to, and even though we may feel well, they function as they wish - not as we desire. It's good to acknowledge this, as we have to work around it, and keep going as best as we possibly can. And we will. We are both extremely determined, and can smell the finish. Still many miles to cover, but the excitement has begun to build.

Enjoy your evening,
Cyndi

No comments: