Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Fun Facts from Van Buren

The Current River, here in Van Buren, is one of the cleanest rivers in the U.S. It is spring fed, from the multiples of caves with the spring waters running through them. They feed up to the river in many areas, creating the currents. The river is a popular canoeing, rafting, and boating location. Then, just a few miles from here is Big Springs, one of largest springs in the U.S. It feeds into the Current River, and is s popular attraction, as well. The spring is about 58 degrees, and they say dissolves and removes 175 tons of limestone a day! It's huge! The caves in this area are like a underground city in itself, with spring waters flowing all through it.

Just as I was typing this, a man in a van pulled over, hopped out, and ran over, saying, "I'm not going to hurt you! I'm bringing you water.  "I saw you, and went up to the convenient store, and got you some water.".  I thought it was going to be the beauty of the land that I remember the most. But I know that it's going to be the generosity of the people that I will never forget.  The human race is so innately kind, giving, caring, and generous.

Update on the funeral in Van Buren:
Mildred "Mitzie" Browning was a long-time resident of Van Buren, and the original owner of the StarLight Motel there. She's well known in the area, and was 79 years old. RIP.

Update on Trail of Tears:
The couple in the covered wagon yesterday,  are indeed married. I think I may have blogged that they were daughter and father. Their names are Gene and Noqahelisi, and they are of Cherokee descent. They go by "Mama and Papa". Her son, Johnny, was killed in an accidental shooting two years ago. They have his ashes with them, as they wanted him to go along. This memorial trip is heartbreaking and inspiring. Gene's ability to control, and care for, those great horses (mules, actually!) are, turns out, something he's done all his life.  He certainly was a natural at it.  I can't quit thinking about them, and their journey. Our commonality is that the good Lord is getting us through both of our journeys.  I felt like kindred spirits.  Our faith walks beside us in our every day life, yet carries us through our difficult times.  I wish them well.

The scenery around here is gorgeous! I'm really enjoying it. So different and unique. Wish I could spend a few days here. I want to go through some of these caves, zip line, and go hiking.  Yet, my mission today holds a different set of plans. I will climb many steep hills to get to Poplar Bluff.  And it looks like today will be just over 45 miles,  by the time we get to our motel outside of the town.  It will not be a fast day, but we always seem to get it done.

Going to head on down the road,
Cyndi



No comments: