Sunday, May 24, 2015

Day and Night 54 - Sunday Funday

US60 was quiet as I started down the road. I was heading to Morganfield. I could feel the effects of the last few days. I would start out slow, and just see what the day would bring. I am fast walking, and loving the minimal traffic. Being Sunday, I was hoping it would remain that way for awhile. The shoulder is still small (about 1 foot), with the rubble strip. Yet, with little traffic, I am out on the smooth road - until a car comes - and I move over.
This is the first time I've been able to enjoy Kentucky, as I would like. Most of the time, I need to be focused on cars coming, getting over, on and off the road, etc. I wish it wasn't this way. But I at least have the morning to enjoy it.
I'm in my own little world, when a nice lady pulls up next to me. She introduces herself, Faye. She's on her way to church in a small town, Sullivan. She wanted to know if I was doing okay. I explained my usual "song and dance" of what I'm doing. She explains she had forgot her bottom dentures, and was on her way to church. So she turned around, to go home to get them. She kept seeing me, and wanted to "make sure I was okay". She says she's 70, and just doesn't remember everything like she used to. I smile, and love all her words. She has lots to say, in a short amount of time. Reminded me of what I might be like at 70. She says she's going to Sullivan Baptist Church, up ahead, after the curve in the road, on the right. She invites me to the service there, and will "save me a seat, right next to her". I start to well-up, getting emotional, as I tend to do when I'm tired (esp out here on the road!). She sees that, and says, "It's okay. Jesus loves you, and so do I". That did it. She pulled away, smiling and waving. I boo-hoo'd for about a mile. After I pulled myself together, I started running. I was going to go to church. I just didn't know how far it really was. It took me not quite a hour to get there. It was in the small town, Sullivan. In my haste, I passed it, because it was just down a little road to the right, and I didn't look far enough down there. I asked a neighbor in her yard, and she re-directed me there.
I ran up to the church, took my hat and sunglasses off, and that's when I heard a lady in the parking lot say, "Can I help you?". Yes! I told her about Faye inviting me, and that I would like to attend the service today. Her response was, "Oh, Faye! She's crazy as a loon.". Turns out.....Faye is her aunt, and she was just kidding around. I wasn't sure what to think. But onward into the church. Everyone turned around as soon as we walked in. The front door led directly to the sanctuary. She introduced me. Me, and my sweaty self, in my running clothes. This was all a little much for me. Several people start tapping the spot next to them, as if to say, come sit here. I tried not to interrupt, but it was too late for that. I ended up by Faye, and she was tickled pink. I took it all in, listening to the message of the day, and just happy to be there. That's exactly where I was supposed to be.
Afterward, I was introduced to many of the congregation. Many had questions, and they want me to send "a card" to the church, after my run, to let them know I've finished. Faye invited me to her home for lunch, and even to stay the night! She said I would have my own room, would feed me, and introduce me to her husband. I was so tempted. A real house, a real meal. But I needed to get further down the road before the rain comes tonight. We take a picture - or two - and I say my goodbyes. Faye gives me her phone number, and her address. I'm instructed, "If I need ANYTHING while I am in Kentucky, please call her and she'll come help me. Whatever it is I need.". I hugged her, and she went back in the church, and I set off down the road. I was so glad I went. You know, it's easier to not put ourselves in new situations like that. It felt good to be there. I want to be like Faye. Loving life, loving others. Not afraid to be who she is.
After church, I made my way, very content, down the road. I came upon the next "big" town of Sprugis. I stopped and got a bite to eat, and headed towards Morganfield. It would be about 11-12 more miles. No problem. I will take my time. I called my mom and dad and visited with them, while moving down the road. That was very nice and comforting.
I made it to Morganfield, and stopped in McD for some tea. Yum, it tasted great! I went a little further and found the one motel in town. I had called last night for a reservation. My room was nice and large! A conv store across the street, and a dollar store not far. Since it's Sunday, the Cafe's are either closed - or close early. So, for dinner, at the dollar store, I bought turkey lunch meat, a can of greens, and a can opener. I would combine these two ingredients, use my mircowave, and have a warm meal in my room. It was exactly what I wanted - and tasted good!! I just can't do the fast food, unless I have to. I was able to have something better tasting. I do think that's a matter of opinion, though!
Hygiene Report:
I showered forever - as I had a super-sweaty day. I applied my usual layers of lotion, and put on clean clothes. Then, I was able to wash my clothes, as they have coin laundry here. Ever have one of those "sweaty" days? I had one today.
Tomorrow, the plan is to head to Henderson, which is only around 22 miles. It's going to rain, and I will lower my milage due to that. And to give John time to catch up some. He moves really well in the rain. I cannot say that for myself. I move in the rain, but it's not my favorite, that's for sure.
Hope your weekend was wonderful,
Cyndi

2 comments:

marv skagerberg said...

What a lovely day. I'm sorry Faye is starting to, or is forgetting, but.

I've run a lot of ultras. Cyndi has run a lot of ultras.
I'm 77 and as I write my bottom teeth, well not really dentures but attached to implants, are in. So, I don't forget them.

Therefore, Cyndi at 70..........:) Is that a syllogism, heh, I can't remember :)

Unknown said...

Love that the timing worked out for you to attend church! And I have no doubt you made that entire congregations day!!

SO glad you got some time on the KY US60 that was enjoyable.....such a bummer that their shoulders are so skinny and have those yucky rumble strips. (Or at least those rumble strips are yucky for those on foot....I am sure they are helppful to cars!)