Saturday, May 2, 2015

Day and Night 32 - Canadian, Tx

Before I discuss today, I meant to tell you about what happened at dinner last evening in Pampa. I was over at the "grill" eating. Mind you, I had a appetizer, a meal, and a piece of cake, iced tea and coffee. When I gave her my CC to pay, she asked me, "Are you the lady that ate that 72 oz steak at the Steak House last week?!" First, you may know about that famous steak place in the Amarillo area, and if you finish the 72 oz steak, it's free. This waitress was convinced that since I could eat all that food last night, it was most likely me who ate that 72 oz steak - that she had heard about. I wasn't sure if I should be embarrassed, or just let it be. I just let it be. I, of course, said, "No, wasn't me. But I can eat!". She smiled, I paid and left. Side note: I am ravenous in the evenings. Even after I eat, and know that my stomach is full of food, I'm still hungry. It's a horrible feeling. I try to eat, and be done. But it's like a compulsive feeling to eat more and more. I think my body is just trying to save itself from all the running madness.
Today was an amazingly beautiful day from Pampa to Canadian. NO, the gross chicken 18-wheelers were gone, because they turned just outside of Pampa on 152. There's a chicken processing place around that area - I could smell it!!!! So I was blessed with that situation. The majority of the 18-wheelers today were oil/gas trucks. There were oil fields everywhere. The oil trucks are still huge, but more aerodynamic. They don't blow my cart - and myself - around nearly like the chicken trucks did. It was a light traffic day along this stretch of us60, as well. Considering the shoulder was wide and just like butter, all these conditions made for a pleasant day. And as a bonus, after 22 miles was the town of Miami. There was a market/convenience store that had anything and everything you could possibly want! I had a breakfast burrito, and a homemade mini-red velvet cake. Sweet! I was set to make it into Canadian after that!!
Seeing the U.S. on foot vs car has been an educational experience. One thing I can tell you is that different "stretches" along US60 have common 18-wheelers. So far, my most noticeable groupings have been: Walmart truckers (by far the most considerate), construction truckers (also, very considerate!), livestock trucks (by far the grossest), oil/gas truckers, wide-load truckers (they always try to move over so not to hit me accidentally, thank you!), and then lots of "general" truckers. (All of these being 18-wheelers). But a staple on the road is regular pickup trucks, most hauling their horses or cows somewhere in a trailer attached.
Time moved along quickly today, I put the miles away, and got to the outskirts of Canadian faster than I realized. No particular reason. I still had about 6 more miles to really get "into" town, when I was "pulled over" by a Hemphill County Policeman. His name was Officer Branson. He said someone had reported a lady pushing a baby in a baby carriage down US 60. I explained what I was doing, he seemed happy and pleased that everything was okay, and sent me on my way. But not before he gave me a few recommendations on dinner places in town. Thanks, Officer! (I picked "Grease Monkey" for dinner, and had a sandwich and soup. It was very, very good!)
I moved onward into town. This is a oil industry town - if I've ever seen one. Every guy looks like he works in the oil fields. Trucks, equipment, heavy work attire, and they look dirtier than I do. Halliburton is a big company around here. My uncle used to work there!!
Finally, I fit in. Dirty and stinky like everybody else. Except for the baby carriage.
I'm staying at a Best Western tonight here in town. It's SO nice, it's like a Holiday Inn Express but supped-up. Nice everything! And since the oil workers have to be to work early, the hotel starts serving breakfast at 5 am!! This is my kind of place.
Tomorrow, after a warm breakfast, we go to Arnett, Oklahoma. It about 41 miles to our motel there. The Circle C motel and RV park. They confirmed my request for a room by texting me and saying that Room 116 will be open when I get there. Yep, back to the motel-mentality. Doors unlocked, no keys, door may or may not actually lock? No one really ever around? It's a interesting thing - that small motel industry. Another educational experience for me.
David will get to experience it as well! As he's meeting me in Arnett tomorrow!!!!! I'm so excited to see him!! It will be a quick visit, but so glad he's coming up to see me. We can share a meal at the local cafe......assuming it's open. After all, everything closes by 3 pm on Sunday's! Luckily, he has a car. Wow, I may be in a car tomorrow to go eat? Really?
Hygiene Report:
I've noticed my clothes don't seem to smell as fresh as I would expect them to, esp after they were washed and put away in my bag. Then I figure it out. It's the bag!!! I bought this black duffel bag for $6 at a small town misc-kind-of-store. Turns out, it's what needs to be washed! So while I'm here at this nice place, I put that black duffle bag in the washer, and now it should not make my clean clothes smelly icky anymore. Why didn't I figure that out before? Geeez.
I showered in the nice shower, put 16 layers of body lotion on my parched skin, and put some clean clothes on. I'm brand new.
I think I'm all ready for tomorrow. I'm so looking forward to it!
Cyndi

No comments: