Saturday, May 16, 2015

Day 46 comes to an end / Night 46

I'm alive! I'm in Cabool, MO. Somehow, I made it here today. My nausea was persistent today. I ate only for fuel. Nothing more. Speaking of fuel/food, something surprising happened today. When I got on US60 this morning in Seymour, the highway seemed as it always had. Two lanes, nice shoulder.
SIDE NOTE: US60 has been many things over the last thousand miles. A regular highway, a street down a residential area, a "back" road, a large highway with many cars, and just about any other type of road you can think of.
Today, my precious US60 turned into a "real" highway (not like a interstate, though). It was two lanes in each direction, nice shoulder, divided, and with "exits". For example, if you desired to go to a conv store/gas station, you would need to exit, and go over the overpass, and down a bit. I had no idea it would be this way today. US60 surprises me every now and then. There was only 3 opportunities for 'service', but I could not bring myself to take the exit. It was just too far out of the way today. I was not feeling well, and no extra steps to Cabool would help me. I just kept moving.
I'm not sure how much longer US60 will be like this. I was spoiled by all the conv stores at a stones throw. Just hop off the shoulder, and hop right back on. Ahhh, the good ole days! We will see what it's like tomorrow. We will be heading to Mountain View. John has decided he wants to try and make it to Cabool tonight. And changed our milage tomorrow to around 32. I'm going to sleep in til 6, if not later! I'm hoping this will give my nausea time to pass. We both need a break.
I'm staying at the America's Best Value Inn here in Cabool. It's very nice. There is nothing around it. The closest thing is a DQ. And I'm just not able to handle type of food today. The motel clerk tells me about a store just up the way. I have to go. So still nasty from my rainy day, I set out to the Town and Country Grocery Store. It's almost a mile, but I need quite a bit of stuff, so it's worth it! I passed the DQ while walking to the store. They were having a Hot Rod Car Show in the parking lot. When I got to the grocery store, it was heaven! I got strawberries, more bananas, blueberries, English muffins and grape jelly. All things I think my stomach can tolerate. In the parking lot is a older gentleman who made note about seeing me on US60. We talked, and I told him what I was doing. He had also crossed the country, several times, in his different hot rods. We talked about the route, etc. he also knew someone who biked it. So it was not completely foreign to him. Turns out, he said he would take me - and my groceries - back to the motel to "save me some steps that I can use tomorrow ". I tried to pay him. He said, "He has many problems, but money isn't one of them", jokingly. I will not forget him. Such a kind, humble guy.
I forgot to mention one other encounter today. When I exited to get to the motel, a van with a red-haired young women pulled up next to me. Her husband was in the front seat, two small kids in the back. She said she has been seeing me (over and over), for at least since Monett. She works in all these different towns up and down US60. She just wanted to know how many miles I had traveled so far. I was happy to tell her "just over" 1800! They were trying to process it all, and continued to ask lots of questions. They offered to go get me water, etc. I declined, but really appreciated it SO much. She had her kids in the van, and I did not want to interrupt their day. She ended it by saying, "Each time I see you, it's been a reminder to me that God is all around us." She continued, "It's as if you are the symbol of the Lord, and your there to remind me of God's glory." I found it fascinating how she related my "appearances" to God speaking to her. I was just overwhelmed. I told her I just had a conversation with my sister, that it was God, who carried me today, as I was feeling sick. I don't know where the time went, or how it was able to happen today. But I do attribute it to God's will. And to have someone else relate that today, just continues to feed my faith.
These people I come across out here are kind, joyful, helpful and caring. They are interested, without judgement. I never expected - or thought about - that aspect when considering this crossing. Yet, it has been my greatest blessing.

I just ate my English muffin with PB and banana. And the strawberries tasted wonderful. That's all I'm having, and will see how things settle. I'll know more tomorrow.

I will say that feeling sick, overrode my irritation with the rain. The rain did not phase me near as much as usual. I don't necessarily like it, but it wasn't my biggest concern today! I thought maybe that's one of my lessons today. Good rain is okay. Don't fight it. And I was able to do that today.

Many things happening out here on the road, that sometimes I think I'm not able to write it all down. It's so much bigger than me. This whole thing is.

Cyndi


No comments: