Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Evening/Night 55 L&N Bed and Breakfast

I went next door to Mary and Norris's house at 5:30 pm. Norris was out back planting flowers, Mary was in the kitchen. Since the cornbread was not ready yet, she finished setting the table, while I pulled the chicken apart, and cut it up. The beans and greens were bubbling on the stove. We talked and talked, and I began doing the dishes that had accumulated. We each finished, then the cornbread was ready, and she called Norris inside. We all made our plates from the hot food in the kitchen, and took it to the kitchen table in their sunroom, facing their back yard - and Ohio River. What a view! Their back yard is elegant and well-manicured. As we ate, we watched a mockingbird pulling straw from a hanging plant to take back to its nest. We watched the hummingbirds drink the sweet water they had hanging, and enjoyed the bunnies as they pounced around the green grass. We talked, and it was a easy, relaxing meal. They have a very nice life. They have worked hard, and in fact, Norris still walks his 57 steps to his work, next door (insurance co), every day. 80 years old. Amazing.
After dinner, Mary and I dished choc ice cream (with choc chips) in cute dessert glasses. It was a perfect ending to our meal of chicken, greens, beans and cornbread. They love relish on their beans, by the way. I began doing dishes again, and she put the food up. Then, she shoo'd me back to the B&B so I could get to bed. I tried to pay for my room, and they would not let me. I appreciate their hospitality and kindness. I hugged them, and said my goodbyes, as I would not see them in the morning. What a grand experience it was.
The bed I slept in upstairs was more-than-comfortable. It was magic! This B&B is next to RR tracks (hence, the name L&N for the railroad), and the trains came through out the night. They do not blow their whistle, as they go over a bridge and do not interrupt this area directly. And as Mary said, the trains shake the bed. She was right! I did not mind, I'm pretty used to trains by now.
I made fresh coffee in the morning, and got my cart rain-ready. I'll head out very shortly. Today, I go to Owensboro. It will be around 35 miles, I think. John is back in Morganfield, and doing well.
I hope your Tuesday is a nice one. And that you enjoyed your Memorial Day weekend. "All gave some, some gave all". I'm thinking of those who serve, and have served this country. I am thankful for them, and our freedom that they provide us.
Cyndi

2 comments:

marv skagerberg said...

so lovely. i'm fantasizing their B&B 10 steps off the road at Vol-State!

Gene said...

sounds like the people of Kentucky are wonderful, just wish their highway shoulders were too