Monday, May 18, 2015

Day and Night 48 - Going to Van Buren

If I haven't heard of many of these small towns, I certainly have not heard of Van Buren. Yet, it's a popular place! I went through the Mark Twain National Forest on the way here, which has multiple opportunities for camping, hiking, and such. And then here in the foothills of the Ozarks, Van Buren, it has The Current River flowing through it. Lots of activities abound! I came into town, and proceeded to cross the bridge over the river, on the pedestrian bridge. Well, that took me directly downtown, no other option. A pathway to everything 'Van Buren'! This just happens to be where my motel is tonight. It's off the course, but due to a "popular figure's" death, Van Buren's is crawling with people. As I passed the florist coming down Main St, they were preparing the flowers, and I overheard discussions of "times" of events. I was going to inquire more about this, but I haven't as of yet. I'll see if the right opportunity presents itself to do so.
This downtown area has everything you need and want. Little grocery store, restaurant, deli, ice cream place, conv stores, etc. It's a small area, yet powerful. All bases are covered. I'm staying at the Hawthorne Motel here off Main St. It's quaint, endearing, old, but decent. Just the location is like hitting the jackpot! I was able to re-supply my cart for tomorrow, and that's very comforting, as I'll depart early again in the morning. Most places are not open when I'm leaving town.
It's been a day of pushing my cart up "hills". The grade is more severe than other areas. I heard there may be more tomorrow. But after I get past Poplar Bluff, it will flatten out a bit. Today, it felt like my brake was on, as I was going uphill. That's when I know it's steeper than the usual hills I'm used to. The shoulder is safe and generous, and that makes for easier traveling. I'm very thankful for it. A few miles out of Winona, I looked up from my "pushing" of the cart, to see a large image coming my way in front of me, on the same shoulder as I.  I tried to figure it out.....was it a wide load on the shoulder? Were there Amish people out here traveling? But they were coming down the hill, as I was coming up it. Their speed was greater, and I was trying to figure out how I was going to get out of their way? The grass on the side of the road is as high as my waist and full of chiggers. There's cars and trucks flying by. What is it? Many things were going through my mind. Then they were upon me, and the man is directing his 3 horses to go into the lane on the highway, and he's pointing for me to get in the grass. He begins to slow his huge horses down, and they come to a complete stop right beside me. It's a covered wagon, fancy horse reigns, a man and women, and a dog. The wagon is huge. The horses are enormous. Their attachments to the wagon are first rate. Fancy, as if they were in a circus. They are now stopped in the right hand lane of the highway! It doesn't phase them what-so-ever. They say hello, are super-friendly, introduce themselves, and ask me what I'm doing. I can hardly answer because I'm trying to figure out what their doing, where are they going, where do they park their horses at night? They gather my information, and then begin to share theirs. The lady's son passed away 2 years ago, and 6 months after his death, they begin this Trail of Tears. They do this in honor of her deceased son, Johnny. Covered wagon, elaborate horses, dog (Belle), her Dad, Gene who manages the horses (he's 80, by the way). They have been on the road going from North Carolina to Oklahoma for a year and a half now. They can only go a short way each day with the horses. (They asked me, "How many more hills to Winona?". I wasn't counting, but I guessed. Those poor horses were pouring sweat). They have the people they meet 'sign' their covered wagon, and so I did. She handed me a Sharpie, and I signed it. I had SO many more questions, but it was time for us all to move on. I got the basic "just" of it, and off they went.
I started back up the shoulder, not believing my own eyes and ears. What just happened? But like I keep seeing over and over, everyone has a story.
Speaking of, we are heading to Poplar Bluff tomorrow. We will stay at BullWinkles Lodge. It is also off course, but that's been the way it is lately. It's never more than a mile off US60, but after 42 miles, it can seem daunting. And then once I get there, I'm so glad I have a place to stay! They already told me we will have second floor rooms. So I will make that happen by taking most everything out of my cart, etc. And up the stairs it all goes. It's certainly do-able.
Hygiene Report:
First, I am happy to tell you that there is a laundromat right next door to my motel! I washed my clothes, and that was the highlight of my day. I showered. I continued with the continuation of lotion for my parched skin. I'm feeling good, and am ready for another day of seeing this beautiful state. There was no rain today (on me). It was around me, as the highway was wet at times. The morning started foggy, and I love that. It's so pretty.
I'm feeling so much better, too. Thank you for all your concern and support during my "sick" days. I made it through!
Better get settled in, and get some rest. Hope your Monday was as fun and exciting as mine was.
Cyndi

No comments: