Saturday, May 30, 2015

Day and Night 60 - Capital City/Frankfort

My final destination, Frankfort, was the plan. It would be a bit of a longer day, but with the sunshine, it's always more enjoyable. Getting the rest of the way out of the Louisville suburbs was sweet. Sidewalks and shoulders. I really enjoyed that. Once out of town, US60 showed me its small shoulder with the usual rumble strip. I kept moving, on and off the road, as needed. Since it was Saturday, the morning traffic wasn't bad. But eventually, people were out and about. We all fought for space on the road. As were the cycling folks! They were out trying to get their space on the highway, too.
I was moving through Shelbyville, and was really enjoying everything about it. The Victorian homes, the quaint downtown area (I really, really wanted to be shopping there!!), the sidewalks through town, the shade from the huge trees, and the food opportunities were all priceless. I did stop to enjoy a mini-blizzard at DQ, their new Jurassic smash (peanut butter cookies and choc chip cookie dough).
About to head out of Shelbyville, I was passing by a business/parking lot on my left, there was someone walking toward me with a baby. What a cute baby, I thought, staring at the little boy. Then it hit me.....that's Shannon. She's a ultra runner, who has done a lot of the same races as I have, and as John has. She has her 8 month old, Connor, with her. It was SO nice to see her, and I was very surprised. I knew she was going to see John today, as I believe Shannon lives in Louisville. But she came an hour out to see me, and bring me fruit. Cold fruit, cut up, packed in a little cooler. I really appreciated that. Later that day, around 2pm when I was super hot, I pulled out the cold fruit, and ate every last piece of it. It was perfect in every way. Thanks, Shannon!!
As I was out on the open road, just moving along and looking around, when a man stopped. He wanted to see if I had a baby in my stroller. I explained what I was doing, but there was a language barrier, and he was still unsure. He could not process that I didn't need a ride. He had seen me many miles back. It just didn't make sense to him. He did pull away, and moved on. I was about 3 miles further, and there he is again, this time, not in the car he had been in. He told me there was a side road that paralleled US60 that "would be quieter ". I was still trying to figure out where he came from?! I thanked him, and thought about what he had said. I did not stick around to talk. I did see the road he spoke about. It was Old US60, but I did not take it. Quieter is not always safer. I think he was trying to help, but I just don't trust "situations", sometimes.
Time moved nicely, and before I knew it, I was beginning to come into Frankfort, the capital of Kentucky. I won't be seeing much of it, but I'm sure it would be nice to go see it all. Not this trip. Since Interstate 64 parallels US60, that's where all the motels were. I started taking a short cut across to that area (through a neighborhood), when a police car appeared behind me, lights on. He insisted on "looking in my stroller" to verify there really is no baby. He asked for my license, and continued to "run it". All clear. He had a thousand questions. Finally, I was free to go. I admit to being irritated with that police stop. His judgmental nature annoyed me. "You can understand why people think your homeless, right", he says to me. I was not in the mood. I was glad when he left, and I got on my way again. My shortcut took me directly to America's Best Value Inn near the interstate. The man who checked me in was so kind. And I appreciated that very much. He put me close, up front, to the office. That always makes me feel safer.
Bonus of this great day? A Mexican food restaurant across the street. I had the usual, quesadilla. It was a perfect ending to my great day.
I'm getting to bed early (surprise!), and heading to the Lexington area tomorrow. If everything works out, I may head to Winchester......depends on the weather. I have to take a different highway in the morning to get back to US60. Since it's Sunday, I'm hoping traffic will be manageable.
The day was wonderful, and I'd love another one like it tomorrow!
I heard there were blue skies there? I hope rain subsides to give everyone a nice Sunday.
Cyndi

No comments: