Thursday, May 21, 2015

Day and Night 51 - How Ironic

My quick post this morning, "Re-Routing and Bridges" would come back to life with avengeance today. (Did I spell that correctly?). I decided to call the Missouri State Police (John said he had everything arranged), and talked with a Trooper there who was less than helpful. I decided to try back later, as I was going to gather my data for the bridge crossings tomorrow. There are two bridges to cross (and they are long), over the Mississippi River, then the Ohio River. Both on US60, or so I thought. I had spoken to both my friend, Gates, and my sister, Sheryl, about options for getting across safely. Each had nice suggestions, and I know it would all get figured out eventually today. Then, I received a text from Gates, that the first bridge is closed for repairs. Funny, the trooper failed to mention that. It's even the bridge in their jurisdiction. So, I realize, real quick, re-routing IS going to happen. And I better figure it out. I called the State Police back, and they gave me another number to call, who would have more information about it all. I called that number, and spoke with Mr. Helpful, Trooper Stewart. He knew everything! He patiently informed me of the closing, and the "only" other route. I listened, repeated it back, and we concurred. While this was happening, Sheryl was trying to figure routes and options out, and Gates was, as well. We basically all came up with the same answer. I HAVE to get on the interstate. I have to cross the first bridge on I57, 10 miles up from my current location. I have to exit, immediately, after crossing, as it is illegal to be on the interstate in Illinois. But, that's the exit I need to take anyway, to get back down to US60 to cross the second bridge. Okay, there are a few extra miles involved in this conundrum. But it's do-able. And I will get it done, tomorrow. I have to. I want to thank Sheryl and Gates SO much for all your help today!!!!!!!! It was because of you guys that I stayed calm and collected, knowing it was all going to work out. Calm is a strong word. But I had faith it would all be okay. And it will be, thanks to you guys.......oh, and Trooper Stewart. Thank you!
This is all occurring, as I'm moving down the road to Charleston. The weather just gets prettier and prettier every minute of the day. The course is nice today, lots to see. We had to re-route today, over to 62, to stay off the interstate (US60 combined with I57 in Sikeston). US62 was quiet, less traveled, and I loved all the little towns (except, Sikeston. Not a fan). All the other towns were calm, well-manicured, and oh-so quiet. Pretty churches, freshly-cut yards, and fields of crops. I was surprised at how I kept wanting to walk, as an instinct to "take it all in". No hurry. Except for this mornings 'hiccup' of the bridge being closed, and the re-routing decisions involved with it, today was smooth sailing. It's interesting how as the day goes on, and things improve in a multitude of ways, the mornings' challenges fade. I'm able to 'Let Go', and move forward much better than I used to. I keep the faith that things will always work out.......in time. And they did just that, with help and support from my friends and family. I appreciate it more than you'll ever know.
I arrive in Charleston, and it's such a cute town! Within a couple of miles, I'm at the Super 8. Right by I57, that I'll hop on in the morning. There's a conv store next door, as well as a Mexican food restaurant. I'm in heaven! It gets better. I check in, go to my room, and it's the NICEST Super 8 I've ever, ever seen. They will even do your laundry (for $$, but still!). Annnnnnnnd, David has sent me flowers there. That's when the happy cry starts. This is all too much good stuff for the moment. How does it go from "Sorry, that bridge is closed", to "You'll have everything you need today!". I'm so blessed. So grateful.
Hygiene Report:
I showered for what seemed like an hour. It felt so good today, for no particular reason. My laundry is being down down the hall.....for me. I put on my usual layers of lotion. My fingers are healing. My feet are under control. My room smells like fresh flowers. It's just one of those days that has turned itself around, completely.
I'm going to go eat at the Mexican food place now, then go get some food/drink supplies at the conv store, and come back and get in bed. Turn the tv on. And fall asleep.
Tomorrow, we still plan on going to Paducah. With our extra little detour to a different bridge, it's a little longer. But we have to do it. It will be around 50 miles, probably.
More good news? We will be in Kentucky tomorrow!!!! And today, we hit over 2000 miles, which puts us at 2/3 the way through, officially. David, you better start getting the house picked up. I'm coming home.
Cyndi

Side Note:
I called John to tell him about the closing of the bridge. The State Police had not told him, either. So odd. Luckily, on his last crossing, that same bridge was closed, so he knows just what to do. Now we both do.

No comments: