Monday, May 11, 2015

Day 41 - Almost built an Ark

After 6 days and 6 nights of rain and storms, I saw the sun today. John wanted to start later today, and catch up on some sleep. I'm on the road around 7 am, with dry, crisp, cool weather. A much needed break for us. We will only be going about 29 miles to Vinita. Oklahoma has been a challenge due to the turbulent weather. We survived it, but man, talk about stressful. Today may make up for it all! I'm in no hurry to get to Vinita, as I have been petting horses, talking to people who offer me rides to town, and soaking up the sun. I have had many ride offers today, such nice people who want to 'help'  me. It's way too nice to be in a car today! But I appreciate their thoughtfulness. I notice on the rainy and stormy days, less "rides" are offered. I think people do not want a drenched person, a soaked cart and anything that goes along with that madness.....in their car. I don't blame them! I wouldn't be out in it either, except it's mandatory, otherwise, no movement forward goes against what we are doing. We stay as safe as we can though.
I have been able to enjoy my time on the road again. I'm not "running from the storm" behind me, worried if everything is covered as it needs to be from the rain, etc. It's been a relaxing kind of day. And the motel in Vinita we are staying at is The Relax Inn. I'm hoping for a little better than the motels I've had lately. It's hard to know if I'm becoming more inpatient with them, or did I truly have a few bad ones? I've been edgy with the weather and all, so it could be my patience gets low. Okay, I know the answer to that. They were bad.
Saying goodbye to Oklahoma will be bitter sweet. I've seen more armadillo's and snakes, encountered minimal shoulders, and stayed in my rain suit a lot. Yet, it's so beautiful, the people are kind and genuine. Take, for example, this morning. I'm about 2 miles down US60 (heading out of Nowata), going by houses lining the highway - yet it looks like a regular road. Kids are scattered in their yards, waiting for the school bus to pick them up. I see the school bus stop, pick up a few children, go a little further, pick up a few more, etc. The bus is approaching me straight on, and I get off the road a bit to give it plenty of room to pass. The lady bus driver stops beside me, and opens the door, "What cha doing?", she asks me. I explain that I'm running across America, from California to Virginia. Her face lights up, and she says how wonderful that is, good luck, be safe, and all kinds of nice things. I really liked her! We say our goodbyes, and as she slowly pulls away, a young boy (maybe around 10 or 11 yrs old) puts his head out the window and says (in his changing voice that cracks a little as he speaks), "You can do this! You can get to Virginia! You can do it!". He is saying this in the most sincere voice, one of sheer encouragement and support. I get chills. I choke up a bit. He has no idea the impact he just made on me. His brown hair, freckles on his face, his sweet voice. What a beautiful child. I can see his face still. His mother would be proud. There was no better way to start my day.
Those events stay with me. In tough times I think about them.
After the final Oklahoma rain-cleansing of my cart yesterday, I decided to start fresh on a number of items. I now only have two pair of running shoes in my cart - my Altra's. The old, original pair I wore for 1000 miles had its final trip on the road yesterday in the rain. I couldn't bare drenching my new ones yet. But the old ones are now in the trash somewhere in Bartlesville. Upon drying out everything yesterday at the motel, I got my new sunglasses out, and put away the ones I've used so far. I found it amazingly wonderful how I could see out of them. My old ones are so scratched up - and I guess I didn't acknowledge it. I enjoyed seeing through my sunglasses today! I also have two new pairs of readers/glasses (Thank you, Dollar Store) that I'm using. I tossed my other pair because they, too, were beyond saving. So I'm feeling fresh with new things around me. I don't know why I didn't get them out earlier. Now is the time to use them, after all, I am on the second half of this trek.
I also used my two Mother's Day gifts. Lauren gave me socks that you put lotion in and sleep in. The inside of the socks are gel-like so the socks don't soak up the lotion. My feet woke up this morning happier than ever!! And to assist with my hands, David gave me Handerpants (see Instagram pic). They look like men's tight-y white-y underwear - but for your hands! It leaves my fingers exposed, and covers the previously sunburned areas. Now my fingers can heal, and be protected at the same time.....from the sun. My feet, hands and face take the worst of what the outdoor elements have to offer. Wind chaffing, sun burn, constant rubbing on my feet of running shoes. With time, things will all heal. But I am not kind to my skin right now. I put sunscreen on. I promise. Day in and day out in the sun is a tough thing to battle. I'm not winning.
Tomorrow's agenda is a approx 48 mile day (it may be longer?), and we will be going to Neosho, Missouri. I have never even heard of that town! Another state line to cross, and I can't believe it myself. I can't believe I typed in "Day 41".
Happy Monday to everyone,
Cyndi

No comments: