Thursday, May 7, 2015

Day and Night 37 - Pond Creek

Pond Creek. Short day here today, 27 miles. The bad weather will be here later on this afternoon, so they say. I find the name of this town interesting.......two nouns. Is it a pond or a creek? According to the husband who runs the motel (with his sweet wife), it's a river. A river surrounds the town on 3 sides, and keeps the tornado's away. He told me not to worry about it, unless I hear a very, very loud roar. Then run to the underground shelter they have. Sounded a little contradicting? Anyway, Pond Creek is a cute little town with only pick up trucks. There's a airplane landing strip for little planes that spray fields around here. And quite a few other companies that do agricultural things. The two busiest places in town are the Veterinarian Clinic (about 10 trucks), with cows mooing as I went by. And Greazy Steve's Cafe. There was about 12 trucks in front of it. That's where I went for lunch, as it was a short walk from the motel. I had a mushroom/swiss hamburger that was so good, I'd go there again for dinner. My other best choice would be the convenience store next door. They have a grill there, as well. We'll see how bad the rain is when it's dinner time.
The TLC Farmers motel gets a rating of about a 2 out of 10. And that's being generous. I will only be taking one shower - with my socks on. I'm sitting out front as I blog. It's just icky inside. The worst of the motels yet. Nice owners. The best part is that there's a screen door (which I have open for fresh air to get inside). And I also opened the bathroom window, and propped it open with my jar of peanut butter. It gives it a little cross ventilation.
I'm hoping to head out super early in the am to get on the road to Ponca City. I understand there's a town about every 10 miles - in case the weather gets too bad. It's about a 42 mile trip, and as long as the weather isn't too bad, it looks to be a good day. I actually look forward to the Double N motel there, as I'm hoping it's a little better than here.
I did have time today to practice some yoga. That felt good! It's a nice temperature outside, and beginning to sprinkle. By 5-6 pm, I'll be inside though! Right now, I'm watching the world go by. I see other people doing this on their front porch. I think I like it.
Hygiene Report:
Happy to have gotten a shower! I've got most everything I need ready for tomorrow. My clothes did not get washed, but I double washed them yesterday evening. Does that count? They will get extra messy on the road tomorrow from the rain. So I'll wait one more day to laundry them. After all, it's only what I had on today. I can hope the Double N motel can help me out with that. If not, there's always the shower to wash them in! I love back up plans.
I'm hoping the low mileage today, and rest, will help prepare my legs to move fast tomorrow. They felt heavy today due to me pushing them hard the last two days in a effort to arrive as quickly as possible, so I would not be out in the rain as long. Or at all.
I'm looking forward to seeing Sheryl and Gene (sister snd brother-in-law) on Saturday - weather permitting. And possibly getting to spend time on the road with Sheryl! Then, I get to see David again on Sunday, and he's bringing Lauren with him. I'm so excited!
Lots of great things on the horizon, including some clearer skies soon (I hope!).
It's just about TGIF,
Cyndi

No comments: