Friday, May 15, 2015

Day and Night 45 - Seymour, MO

It's been another rainy day. Off and on, with no thunder/lightening or storms in the area I was traveling through. So over all, it was a successful day to move along down the road! It looks to be a repeat of that again tomorrow, except we are going to add about 10 more miles. We are hoping to get to Cabool, MO. Sometimes if a storm gets crazy, or something unpredictable with the weather happens, it can change plans. But, Cabool is the goal!
Today was interesting for a couple of reasons. It started out with me getting back on that Interstate/US60 - but for only 3 miles! I decided to start by around 4:45 am to avoid traffic. It worked!! I zoomed down it, with minimal cars and NO police! I was literally running from the police. I needed to go 3 miles, and would be free of their insistence regarding the Interstate. I did not want to get on it again! But the detour was SO long, that I felt like I was left with no choice. No one really wanted to get to work that early, so it worked out fine. I felt good about my choice. It was so nice to be back on my "home",  US60.
I moved down the road, admiring the beauty of Missouri. I was busy looking and looking, enjoying it all. There were baby sheep....tiny, tiny things they are! As if their legs can hardly hold them up. I went through Rogersville, and there was construction to contend with there. I made it through pretty well. Then I eventually hit the city limits of Diggins. I begin to notice what appeared to be horse poop on the shoulder. Odd, it's getting on the wheels of my cart. The rain had just washed away blood from roadkill off my wheels, now I'm trying to avoid this large amount of poop. As I'm moving along the shoulder, I hear "clip clop, clip clop". In the distance, it looks like a horse-drawn carriage/wagon with someone holding the reigns. Now, it been raining, and the person 's head is covered in a cloak. It takes up the whole shoulder. I wait at a opening, off the shoulder, and she goes by me. An Amish woman, who looks at me as if I'm a alien, clip clops by in her open wagon. Turns out there's a large community of "Old Order Amish" here. They don't have tvs, electronics, automobiles, telephones, or even indoor plumbing! They settled here in 1968, acquiring old, run-down farms, and restoring them with large gardens, and farming activities. They don't even have rubber tires on their wagons. Now that's old-school. I went by multiple Amish folks in their wagons, who appeared to have gone into Seymour for their needs. There was a man, with his small, four daughters, in his horse-drawn open wagon. All the girls had their bonnets on. They waved at me, but had a horrified look on their little faces. Another older, bearded man crossed over to the other side to avoid me. It looked dangerous.....a horse-drawn wagon in the left hand lane of the highway. I bet people are used to it around here, I guess?  The men have their suspenders on, and long beards. I love the women's bonnets! I disgress. Horse poop. Everywhere on the shoulder. Since it rained my last couple of miles in Seymour, my tires were washed off a little bit. Sort of.
I locate my motel, America's Best Value Inn (in Seymour). It's very clean, and will be perfect for today! I'm happy to be here. And there's a cafe next door. The Rusty Spurs cafe. There's been trucks, and lots of customers going there since I've arrived here. Think I'll try it tonight.
Hygiene Report:
Rain causes me to get horribly gross on the shoulder. There were more livestock trucks than I preferred, but then again, there seemed to be truck after truck (in general) today. I was just probably sensitive due to Day 2 of rain in Missouri. Day 3 of rain will continue tomorrow. I confess, I washed my clothes as soon as I arrived. They just smell bad, and are dirty. I'm lucky they had "guest laundry" available! I showered, and then......took a nap!!! I'm tired today, and am looking forward to getting some rest tonight. Every now and then, all these miles catch up with me, and remind me that I'm doing a lot.
Speaking of doing a lot, tomorrow, we reach 1800 miles. How cool is that?! I think I should celebrate with a week straight with no rain. Sounds fair, right?

I hope your Friday was wonderful, and a great weekend is on your horizon!
Cyndi

No comments: