Monday, May 25, 2015

Day and Night 55 - My favorite

I started from Morganfield this morning, technically, a late start for me. I needed to sleep in a little (til 6 am!). It would be my usual straight down US60, except for the addition of some rain. It rained off and on, then went to sprinkling only. And after awhile, only dark clouds who threatened more rain, but luckily, never delivered it.
I had my usual entourage of people stopping to inquire if I'm okay, need help, or want a ride. No, thank you, I'm fine. But thanks for stopping! I tell everyone what I'm doing, and then it all makes more sense. Or I'm hoping it makes more sense. One guy in a pickup that offered me a ride to Henderson, saw me in his way back home later in the day. He honked and waved as I was coming into Henderson. I made it, and he was heading back to where he had come from. It's fun to interact with others multiple times. Almost like friends out on the road.
As I'm getting closer to Henderson, my friend, Gates, texts me about a couple of Bed and Breakfast options. The two motels here are marginal, and a new option would be nice. I call the L&N Bed and Breakfast, as it is furthest across town. I talked to a sweet lady, named Mary. She tells me about her location, rates, and gave me directions. Then she asks me to call her when I get close, so she can make sure I make it to her B&B okay.
I move on down the road, wondering if I've done the right thing. I think so! They probably have laundry, even food. And I will be the only guest tonight. As I get into town, and get about 1 1/2 miles away, I call back. She answers, and we finish making the arrangements, directions and such. I tell her I'm going to stop at the Cancun Mexican Restaurant (for lunch) up ahead first, then stop for supplies, then I'll be there. She say to me, "Just one moment.". And then says to her husband, "Norris, want to go eat lunch at the Cancun Mexican Restaurant??" He says, "Yes, Sounds great!" Mary says back to me, "Okay, we'll meet you there - to have lunch with you. Let me change my clothes real quick".
Okay then. So we will have lunch together. Just like that. And we did! I got there first, and within 10 minutes, they were there. I introduced myself.......I knew them as soon as I saw them. Turns out, they know everybody. Everybody! They have lived here all their lives, he owns a Insurance Company ("57 steps from his front door"), she has run the B&B for the last 20 years. I met many people today, with them. At the restaurant, and then again at their house (next door to their B&B). They have friends over now. At 5:30 pm, I am to go back over to their house to have dinner. Roasted chicken, greens and beans. Mary and Norris are special people in this world. They have a gift. Kind, genuine and caring.
I have this huge house (B&B) to myself. I have a coffee maker, laundry, comfy bed, and lots of room to roam......in a house!!!! This is - by far - the BEST place I've stayed. The best. It makes me sad to think I have to leave. I really, really like them, as well.
I went next door to pay, and they won't let me. She just sent me back to "go nap", and rest. Oh, and dinner will be ready soon.
I can't begin to explain what is happening. It just does. My faith is deep that the Lord will care for me, esp while I am out on the road, and He does. My faith is so strong, as He has shown me over and over that things are going to be okay in these "trying" times of crossing the U.S. I never know what is coming up next, it's always a surprise. I can't even predict something like this. Much less imagine it. But I'm blessed with a magnificent 1845 house, providing me comfort, warmth, and food. And a cup of Decaf coffee, as I blog. (Thank you, Gates, for finding me this most wonderful retreat).
I better get ready for dinner.
Hygiene Report:
I showered in a claw tub with a brass hanging shower curtain rod all around it. The real deal. My bed is marvelous. I melt into it. I did my laundry in the washer in the basement. And I'm ready to eat again. I forgot to mention, I did have a quesadilla at the Mexican food restaurant. So did Norris. I'll put a picture of them on Instagram.
Better get over there. Don't want to be late for dinner!
Cyndi


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Such a blessing!! You are such a special person - people are just drawn to you and want to help/support you! This B&B sounds like a wonderful place.....I read a nice article about it online - about an Aggie that did an internship in Owensboro that stayed there for 9 weeks and was welcomed as family!

I love that sleeping in is 6am.....but I certainly understand it is much easier to get down the roads before everyone else gets on the road!