Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Day and Night 35 - Rain in Fairview

Pigs in livestock trucks. Those were the trucks of choice today. I'm not sure if chickens or pigs smell worse? The pigs are so pink, they are quite large, and packed inside those trucks. Kind of sad.
I didn't focus much on that, as I ran my little heart out today to get to Fairview. Wind pushed me around and dark clouds loomed over me. As usual, I don't like to look around at them. I know they will win. But I put up a good fight, and as David said, keep swinging til the bitter end. Then it begins to sprinkle. It's like a slow torture. Sprinkles off and on for a couple of hours. Since it's warm, it feels good, and I do not put my rain jacket on. I relax a little knowing that I'm within a 2 hour window of making it to town. I can deal with that. And then it does start raining, and the rain jacket goes on. It's a bit warm wearing it, but nice to stay dry, too. It was a smooth arrival considering the rain! I stop at the first convenience store, and three men out front are discussing how they passed me out on us60. They ask what I'm doing, and I explain. They tell me to hurry on, because the heavier rain is coming. So I get two ice teas, and mosey on my way. I go by the Mexican food place they told me about, and immediately order two quesadilla's to-go. They hustle to get them for me, ask all the same questions about me and what I'm doing, then send me on my way with yummy food.
I move on down through downtown, and get to the far side of town where the Heritage Inn is located. I check in, and the people here make sure I have everything I need. They even got me a 12 cup coffee pot for my room with all the coffee fixins. It's a clean, large room! I must be living right.
I'm going to watch the weather closely, and see when I can dart the 40 miles to Enid, tomorrow.  When John and I met this morning, we decided that due to these weather conditions, we will take things day to day. It's just too volatile to project further out. The rain is supposed to be around for 4 more days.....off and on.
So the goal will be to get to Enid tomorrow. I'm going to reserve us a hotel/motel on the outskirts of town. That way we can stop as soon as we hit town - in case of bad weather.
The rain is tolerable due to the warm weather. It's not pleasant, by any means. It makes it more dangerous on the small shoulders of OK. But it could always be worse! At least it's not cold rain. I will tell you it is windy. It's been windy since we've been in Oklahoma.
Overall, I spent the day hustling to get to Fairview today. The bright side was no sunscreen was necessary!
Hygiene Report:
The shower felt so good, as I was sticky from the humidity, and it warmed me up, too. I wasn't cold while I was outside, but cooling off inside, and being wet from the rain made the shower a wonderful reward. My cart is drying out. It did not get too overtly drenched by any means. On the side of the cart facing traffic, there is dirt, and tiny pig hairs, attached to my cart from the trucks going by. I'll clean that up.
I look forward to Enid tomorrow, as I will wash my clothes. There are no laundry facilities nearby here. And in Enid, they have a Walmart, and lots of regular places that are familiar to me. That's exciting!!
The town of Fairview is larger than I realized. Their downtown area has lots of cute shops. The rain will deter me from walking the 1/2-3/4 mile back down there. But it looked inviting.

Things are good. And we'll see what the weather has in store for us tomorrow.
I made it through today without any major trauma, and that's always a good thing!
Cyndi

No comments: