Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Day and Night 36 - Half Way Celebration!!

I was scared this morning. I could not find my "big girl" panties. I was just scared. The weather here is either stormy, rainy, possible hail, etc. Its hard to tell what will happen. We started early, and discussed how we will take shelter, if need be. There's not much on the side of the road. If there is something, it's usually behind a fence or locked gate. Storms, rain or hail may require finding shelter. As we began down the road, there is thunder and lightening in the distance. My first instinct is to stay with John for the day. But I decide I'll get to Enid much quicker at my own pace. So off I go on my own, pulling ahead, and lose sight of him behind me. If it gets bad, I'll get under my cart, put my tarp over me. I'll have to figure it out.
But that never had to happen. I will say I said a prayer this morning. I asked God to spare us of the bad conditions. My prayer was answered. He did indeed spare us today. I am most grateful. The most I had all day was high winds, and sprinkles of rain here and there. Prayer is a powerful gift.
I had several offers for rides, as people don't understand what I'm doing, and why I'm risking myself on the highway like that. But I knew I was going to be okay, once the sun came up.
I only stopped twice today, both times at a convenience store. I just kept moving for the most part, as best as I could. The wind was brutal and vicious. You almost get used to it after awhile. Almost. It's like the wind is crazy. Blowing every which way. Mostly headwind. But it's tricky sometimes.
I made it to Enid in decent time, and get to the Spring Hill Suites by Marriott. It's on the edge of town, before you really get too far into Enid. David got both John and I a room using his marriott points. It's a very nice hotel. Seems very new! And there's a Walmart next door! I decide to go pick up a few items. While I was there, I noticed a "salon" for haircuts. I knew I wanted a haircut, just have not had that perfect opportunity in these small towns to make it happen. So I take the plunge, and sit in the chair for it. The lady asks me where I'm from, and I explain my origin, and my trek right now. Then she says, "That's you I saw this morning?? With a cart?". Oh geez. How does this happen? Yes, it was me. I told her I came from Fairview, and she said, "That's 40 miles". I said, Oh yes, I do indeed know that. So we talked while she cut my hair - extra short please. Who knows when I can get another haircut?! She's going to school to be a Scrub Tech. So we had lots to talk about!!
I shopped a little, came back to the hotel, and put my laundry in. I'll wash it twice. Livestock trucks and rainy, messy roads had me disturbed at how dirty I was! It's bad when you can smell yourself.....and your not sure what that smell is.
Bonus is that the hotel has a "bar" that also cooks food. The lady who checked me in said the pizza is really good. Think I'll try it tonight!
I made it through Day 2 of volatile weather. Another one will happen again tomorrow. Except this time, we have 53 miles to reach our motel!! Cross your fingers. I will continue to pray for safety. And I'll probably be scared again. I'm such a chicken with storms.
The best news of the day is that:  We are half way!!!!!!!!!!
I can't believe it myself. But it's really happened. We will now begin the second half of this marvelous journey.
Hygiene Report:
This is one of those days where I look down at my shirt, and think, what is that on my shirt? What is on my sleeve? Did I wipe my face with that part? I smell it, still unable to identify the nastiness on my shirt. Hence, why it's being washed twice. I know tomorrow it will be yucky again. But I'll start out fresh, at least.
My shower was amazing. The front desk lady gave me extra conditioner for my dry, dry hair. Which is now super short (love it!!) - and still dry. I put tons of lotion on. My hands are healing. No manicure until they heal. No one wants to touch these scabbed fingers. I don't blame them either. It looks like I have something seriously wrong - or worse - contagious?! So I will not insult someone to deal with my nails under my skin on my fingers heal. That's the right thing to do.
This Spring Hill Suites we are staying at is just on the edge of town as soon as you come into Enid. This means tomorrow, that we will go through Enid completely, which is quite a few miles. I'm going to watch the weather, and make a decision on departure time. If it's not raining in the morning, I'll head out super early to get some miles in without rain. If possible.
Also, I think my tracker may not have me at my hotel, because I came inside, and it can't find the satellite inside. No worries, it will spot where I'm at when I leave in the morning. I just forgot to hit the special button that said I was here. Think I was excited at the "coffee-in-the-lobby-all-the-time" thing.
Tornadoes are the talk of the hotel today. There's one they are tracking, not far from here. The people on us60 out my window are stopped on the side of the road so as to not go into it. People around here know what to do. A lady talked to me in the laundry room, and said they always go NE, so if I see something forming, take cover, or go SW. That's what she said.
Gotta go say my prayers,
Cyndi

No comments: