Thursday, May 14, 2015

Day and Night 44 - The Interstate

There's a reason most states do not allow pedestrians on the Interstate. It's too $&@#*% dangerous. I was more focused on the rain the first part of the day, to truly understand the magnitude of what was about to happen when US60 East joined 360/Bypass/Interstate in Springfield (after leaving Republic).  The State of Missouri is one of the few states that allow pedestrians on their Interstate's. So, per John's prior instructions, I pushed my cart up the "exit" ramp so that I could remain moving against traffic. The shoulder was large, but before I knew it, it had widdled it's way down to about 3 feet, with a guard rail on my left side. No where to go - if need be. It was madness. About a 1/2 mile from my exit (National Rd), the police pulled me over. The siren about had me pee in my pants! He begins to tell me about the ga-gillion calls they've received - and not about a baby in the cart. But about my safety. Oh, I get it. It's true, they are right. I agreed whole-heartedly. I explained that I was exiting, and apologized for causing such a ruckus. It's not only dangerous for me, but for the cars who are frantically trying to change lanes, avoid me, and then possibly have a accident because of ME. It's just a bad situation. My hotel was right off the exit, and I immediately checked in and showered to calm myself. It worked, and I reflect back on how irresponsible that was. It's still US60, but as a interstate, too, we should have detoured. Lesson learned. I learned more today, as well.
1) Never go up a Exit ramp onto a Interstate. I've driven that in the ground now.
2) Taco Bell has a new "special" Double Dilla, which is a quesadilla that has supposedly double meat, etc. I think they are in cahoots with the Aurora Inn......setting expectations that will not be met. Beware.
3) There's good rain and bad rain. Today was good rain. It's just that. Rain. No driving wind, cold or sideways rain. I can move pretty well in it. It was my first successful day in the rain. I'm more confident now about that.
The plan is (for now), for John to make it here tonight. We talked on the phone, and he'd like to go to Seymour tomorrow, then Cabool, the next day. This is all depending on weather......but I hope we can do it.
Hygiene Report:
I was ridiculously dirty from the roads being wet, trucks spraying me all day, as they push a lot of water and debris at me on the side of the road. I showered, then washed my clothes in a real washing machine here at the Extended Stay America. They have everything here! I washed my clothes in HOT water, and now they smell and look wonderful. I know it will be messy again tomorrow, but I'm going to be happy to start fresh, anyway. I am drying out my cart - and things in it. I had everything in garage bags, so nothing got really wet. I'm just airing it all out.
I still look like I have a skin disease on my fingers. I can't seem to get them to heal. They are still swollen and irritated. I may actually need antibiotics to help settle them down. But not sure how I can do that. Here in the Springfield, South/Battlefield area may be the best opportunity I have for that for awhile. I'm going to hope it gets better. It's just between gloves on in the am (when it's cold), jacket/rain jacket off and on (rubbing that area each time, rain/wet, and then sun.....my fingers hardly stand a chance. I never knew I could be so cruel to my own body.
Thunderstorms are predicted for the next day or two. We will just have to see how it really goes down out on the road. I'm always hopeful.
This hotel tonight is a stark difference than the last few nights. Even though it's a extended stay hotel, it's super nice. These are the kinds of hotels I don't want to leave, esp to go out and get in the rain. Even I think that seems crazy.
It's almost the weekend! Hang in there. One more work day.
Cyndi

Just so you know, I had Italian food for dinner. Chicken piccata - and it was so good. I think it was time for a change. Breaking out for the night from my comfort Mexican food.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kisses for your hands. Xoxo

Unknown said...

Kisses for your hands. Xoxo