Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Day and Night 50 - Something different

What a great way to start the 50's off! Well, it might not sound so great when I say it, but it does end up great, and that's what counts.
Day 50 started out as a usual day. I leave my motel, which happens to be a Lodge. I SO enjoyed all my time there. It was comfortable, relaxing and over-all, a comforting place. The Lodge kitty-cat (Bob, because she's a bob-tail cat), stayed outside my door. I got to love on her, and it just felt as close to "home" as I've had in the last 50 days. The theme of a Lodge seemed to be more cozy than a motel.
So off I go, down my own road (US60, I've claimed it as my own). It's still dark, my lights are flashing on my cart. But really, there's not many cars/trucks yet, as there rarely is at this hour. I did start a touch later than usual, but was enjoying my time in the room. And I needed to get my cart more rain-ready due to the rain coming in the morning, rather than the afternoon (that seemed to change overnight). I'm making sure my feet are good to go, all hot-spots covered, everything put in plastic bags in the cart, my bag of uncooked rice in a Baggie for my electronic devices. Rain gear ready. Check. As I move down the road, I feel the rain coming. You just know it. It's just a matter of when. About that time, just before it sprinkles, John calls me. Side Note:He had not made it to our final destination yesterday, but was only about 10 miles back. I had re-arranged a different motel for him late yesterday, as he requested later in the day when he knew he would need to have a change in motels/towns made. I'm a master at that! He called early this morning to tell me he will need to change our milage schedule to two "short" days (today and tomorrow) so he could catch up on some rest before our final "push" in this last 1000 leg of the route. No problem. This meant I had two options. 1) go on as planned (to Sikeston), and wait for him there.......continuing to be moving in the pouring rain, or 2) stop in Dexter, MO, which is the farthest he would make it today. As I approached Dexter, I noticed food places, the nice motel, a Walmart. Basically, a decent size town. I knew I would wait for him here. Plus, I knew it would not be raining tomorrow, and why go on in the rain if I didn't have to!?
So, I've stopped here in Dexter, checked into the Dexter Inn, and am having a "me" day. I haven't done this yet! Day 50, and I'm going to get a few things done today. Like a catch-up day. I only went 23 miles today, and now I have the day to myself. At first, I resisted this whole concept. I must keep going, I told myself. Then, I practiced self-compassion, and decided to treat myself well. I can get some extra rest. Out here, that can never be a bad thing. This is going to be good!! What will I do?! I forgot to mention, as I'm pushing my cart in the not-so-good rain (because it was about 58 degrees, just a little cool for me), I have a couple pull over to offer me a ride. They have many questions, and I have trouble convincing them that I'm okay. Still skeptical, they do eventually pull off the shoulder and go about their trip. Just as I'm about to "exit" (go backwards up the entrance ramp), another SUV pulls over. This couple, too, seems to think I need a ride. I explain what I'm doing, and even tell them I'm exiting now to stop in Dexter. Yet, they are willing to drive me the mile and a half to my motel. I'm dripping wet, my cart is dripping wet, it's pouring rain while we are conversing, and the husbands shirt sleeve is now super-wet from the rain getting in his car. I feel bad. I convince them that I'm really okay, and that they do not want me messing up their Lincoln SUV, anyway! I explain that I'm safe, and will be out of the rain very soon. I thank them profusely (as I did the other couple), so that one day they will stop to offer help to someone who really does need it. I want to encourage these people to keep asking, and continue to offer help to others. It could be me - that really does need their help - sometime. You never know.
So, first, I shower. I get warm, get all my wet clothes cleaned, sorted, and hung to dry. I put my wet shoes in front of the AC/Heater, and best of all: Take everything (everything!) out of the cart. Why? Time for a deep clean. It's literally dripping wet. The fabric is such that it dries fairly quickly, but this is a good time to wipe it all down. Inside and out. Another revelation! I've been wanting to put together a grouping of items, from my cart, to send back home (that I really don't need). I have just not had the right opportunity to do that. I'm so excited! I start sorting, cleaning, and making a stack of things to go back home. I'll buy a box at Walmart, and figure out to get it mailed......later.
I've got a small stack of trash, a stack of things to go back home, and a good inventory of what I will put back in the cart. After it all dries.
Now, off to eat lunch, and go to Walmart. I walk down toward the food places, and immediately notice a Mexican food restaurant. Bingo! In I go, and, you guessed it, ordered a quesadilla. Chicken, please. Iced tea, please. Ahhhh, the perfect lunch for a "me" day. Okay, back down the other direction for Walmart. By the way, it's still raining, and I'm walking around this town in my rain suit. It's what I do. I get to Walmart, and they have absolutely everything I need.....and more. This is my chance for fruit, and certain things you can't get at a conv store. Like certain size band aids, Tostitos new "ROLL" chips. David had brought me some on his last visit, and I'm hooked. I use them to dip into my bean dip, as it's something I can easily eat and fast walk with. Oh, and I lost another, geez, pair of readers/glasses today in the rain. What is up with that?!?!? I think I'm so focused on watching cars/trucks in the rain, I take my eyes off other items. And my readers fall to their demise. But Walmart is there to save the day. Then dinner.......well, I get a warm, whole chicken, some veggies to mircowave, and a avocado to have in the room. That's my perfect on-the-road, go-to, eat in my room, comfort dinner. This "me" day is better than I realized it would be.
Back to the Dexter Inn I go, walking with my 18 Walmart bags, right? Some nice couple offers me a ride, I tell them, no thanks, as I'm almost to the motel. That was sweet of them to ask.
As I approach the motel, the front-clerk-nice-lady opens the door for me. She asks me what the box is for? I explain that I'm sending some excess things back home. I offer her 20.00 to get it mailed out for me (there is no post office close by, and no taxi service here). She immediately says Yes! She knows she will get about 15.00 out of that deal. It's worth it to me, as it's all stuff I want to keep. And not push around in the cart anymore. Dang, this day is working out well.
At the start of this day, I would have never guessed any of this would have happened. The rain changed "arrival" times, the milage changed, the destination changed, and I would get a "short" day on a rain day. Now how cool is that? Life is good.
Cyndi



1 comment:

marv skagerberg said...

Cyndi you are marvelous, you really have it all together. enjoy every day.