Sunday, May 10, 2015

Day 40 - Congrats to Sheryl!

I woke up in Pawhuska (Black Gold Motel) today thinking of how Sheryl was doing. 40 miles yesterday, and she did so great! And today is Mother's Day. Lots of good things on my mind! I will see Lauren and David later on (much later on), as they give me time to move down the road to my next destination. It also gave Lauren a little time to sleep in, too. David was up early and texted me. John and I were slow to hit the road, as I think we both knew what was to come. Rain started early today. We are going 46 miles to Nowata, and we'll get there. Unpleasant weather cannot be avoided.
And sure enough, I was about almost 10 miles out of town when it went from rain to storm. Thunder, lightening and dark clouds. I stopped twice under a tree, but just could not force myself to stay there. The wind was behind me, and I needed it to push me to Bartlesville. And it did. Just before I got going through town, the skies cleared, and things felt good again. My cart is dripping wet, and so am I. I change clothes at a conv store (fresh socks needed the most), and kept moving. My cart dries fairly well with the continued wind. Oh, it's not really dry, just no longer dripping water.
I get across Bartlesville, with a smile that the sky is somewhat blue, and no longer dark. Okay, quick head toward Nowata! My phone, solar charger and Spot have been in a gallon size baggie all day. My phones headphone jack won't work, my Spot keeps turning off, the baggie has condensation and is warm. I take everything out once the rain stops! I try to let it all air back out. I hope my solar chargers are good. I'll check them later. I do turn my Spot back on, and hit the tracker button. Looks good. This is my life line, so I try to keep it as dry and happy as possible!
At the moment, I'm heading toward Nowata. Unfortunately, it looks like rain again. The short-lived break was nice. I did get cleaned up a bit. But in the chaos of watching cars, no shoulder, thunder, rain, etc, I lost another pair of reader glasses I use. I'll need to go by the dollar store again. If that's the worst thing that came out of it, I'm happy. Another repeat will occur again, is what the forecast says. If so, phone, Spot, and all go back off - and put away tight. As I'm typing this, it says a Tornado Watch is in effect, but for Pawhuska and other areas. Bartlesville looks clear from that.
This should all be gone tomorrow!! It looks to be a pretty Monday. I look forward to less stress, and more enjoyment, again, on our way toward Missouri.
I'm going to make sure things are covered well in my cart, since I pulled off the side of the highway and things shift around when that happens.
Enjoy your day, and Happy Mothers Day! More later when things settle down,
Cyndi

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are too sweet! You are a huge reason I have been successful in my running - thank you! As I reflect on our day together, I remember how time just passes....and you realize you just traveled XX number miles but it didn't really seem like it! Makes me smile....such a good day visiting and catching up!

So happy you got to spend time with Lauren and David on Mother's Day!! It sounds like a rough day, but with a terrific visit once you arrived!