Friday, May 1, 2015

Day and Night 31 - Pampa

What a interesting day it has been. It was a super short running day, because it was only 30 miles from Panhandle to Pampa. (The next few days will be 40 and up mileage). Along my way here, I had a man (in a pickup truck, of course), stop and ask me the usual question,"I've seen you off and on since Amarillo. What are you doing out here?". I explained the Run Across America to him, as he looked and listened. He was genuinely kind about telling me good luck, and to be careful. I told him I had come from Panhandle, and how much I loved that town. He said that's where he lives, and that he was the County Judge there for 16 years, and recently retired. Such a nice guy! Later in the day, the Judge was heading back in the other direction, honked and waved again. People are just so nice. I have quite a few who honk and wave, and it's the type of communication of "I've seen you, just saying hi!, again". Repeat honkers, I'll call them. My road-supporters.
I made it to the Western Motel, no problem. I checked in, then proceeded to ask about laundry facilities. None here. What? Only over off  Hwy70, she says. But, she tells me she can give me the phone number to "a lady" who will come pick my laundry up (from the motel), wash it, and bring it back to me. For $1.50. Hummmmm. I'll have to think about that. As a back story to my "need to wash my clothes", I will tell you this. Today - and yesterday - I am on a stretch of US60 where lots of 18-wheelers,  carrying livestock (chickens), are packed in their open-to-air trailers. That means when they drive by, the urine, poop, water from prior rinse-ings are slung on the side of the road. Since I'm on the side of the road......well, you get the idea. I don't even want to lick my lips, or put my hands to my mouth or eyes. It's pretty gross. So, I really need to have my clothes "washed". In my desperation, I call "the lady". She will come to the motel and get my clothes, wash them, then bring them back. They do this for "extra money" because times are tight for their family. Okay, I say, and she'll be there at 3 pm to get my clothes. At 3, her husband shows up, and he's obviously disabled. He takes my clothes, asks if I want the colors sorted, and what to be dried? I can tell they have done this before! I explain it can all go in one load......no drying, I'll hang it up. He volunteers to put it out on their clothes line out back. I kindly decline. I give him 10.00, and he's shocked. He says, "Are you sure?". Absolutely, I say. And thank you, as well.
I can only imagine what your thinking about all this. I'm in Pampa, my running clothes are now at someone else's house. It's odd. It's different. But this is how it is out here. Everyone has a story.
I decide to walk across the street to the "grill" to eat. I'm not sure what they have, but I get there and see quesadilla on the menu! Nice. I order, and the waitress says, "We are out of quesadilla's". I'm not sure how that happens, but it's about time I eat something different anyway. I order the chicken, with rice and veggies. It was delicious! I had Italian cake for dessert, with a cup of coffee. I'm set!
So back to my motel I go. All the way across the street. I'll wait to see what happens with my laundry. I promise I'll keep you posted.

Hygiene Report:
I've already showered, and my laundry is somewhere unbeknownst to me. At least I no longer have side-of-the-road chicken goop on me - yay! Just part of the trek.

Pampa is a decent size town. Most of the "good stuff" is over off of 70. Yet, I have everything I need right here. Tomorrow, I'll wake up early and head toward Canadian. (It will be around 48 miles). Interesting name for a town! I'll go through Miami on the way there. We will see what Saturday has in store for me. I hope your Saturday is a fabulous one! I hear the weather there is nice.
Cyndi




No comments: