Thursday, April 30, 2015

Day 30 / Night 30 - A month already??

I love love this town, Panhandle, Texas!! It has a Subway, Mexican Cafe, Dollar Store, Convenience Store (coffee!!), a Budget Inn (which is very nice despite the pictures on the internet), and a Dairy Queen. What else could I possibly need? I even got a new pair of reading glasses (1.75 magnification) at the Dollar Store for $5. My 51 year-old eyes need readers. My original pair I had flew off my cart on the horribly, windy, rainy day sometime when I was probably panicking, and not paying attention. Don't remind me, I may need therapy for that day. Luckily, all these wonderful days override the bad. Today, I smiled the whole way here. Had a great day yesterday, another relaxing one today. The wind was kind to me, the terrain flat, and a railroad 25-30 feet to my left - the whole way. I waved so much today! I just know those train people know me. They have to by now. I feel like they are my friends. They wave back, blow their horn, and zoom by. It's good to have friends out here on the open road.
And I've never seen so many ground hogs in my life. Really, a ga-gillian of them. They dig such nice, round holes. They make funny noises, and are fast-fast. I also "picked up" a dog along the way who ran a few miles with me. Sweet, sweet dog. But eventually, the owner came by in his car and tried to coxe his dog back to him. It wouldn't go to him. I called the dog to me, and it came. Then held him, til he got the dog. That was a interesting thing going on there?
If everyday could be this good (and like yesterday, too), this would be a piece of cake. Let's see......35-45 miles, eat, eat some more......or go to work. Think I'll pick the miles! It's definitely more fun. I think some may beg to differ. It's really the journey of the miles that's the best part.
I put the new shoes and socks on that I got yesterday. They were perfect!! Think I'll do that again tomorrow. Speaking of tomorrow, we head to Pampa. Not a bad run tomorrow. Decent mileage. And then from there, head up to Canadian, which is more like 45-48 miles. We typically range between 30-60 mile days, and try to stay around a average of 40 miles per day. This is all dependent on weather, terrain, motel/camping options, and how far apart towns are. We usually evaluate this daily, regarding the distance and conditions.
Hygiene Report:
Since the miniature horses seemed to like the way I smelled today,  I will shower tonight. I'll wash the clothes I wore, in the shower with me, as there are no laundry facilities. The motel manager said there are laundry facilities in Pampa. That's a long way to go to get your clothes washed.

Good news:

(I love everything about my care package yesterday!)
Ate at the cafe this evening - and had a quesadilla. That always makes me happy!
Will have a dip cone, in a little while, at Dairy Queen. Oh yeah.
Did I mention the reading glasses purchase? That's good news.
It's been a month now. A month! Where has the time gone??

Great news:

My sister, Sheryl, is coming the following Saturday to spend "a day on the road" with me!
David is coming to see me on Sunday!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!! Can't wait to hug his neck!

Have a nice Thursday evening, and it's almost TGIF!
Cyndi


No comments: