Friday, April 17, 2015

Night 16, Day 17

After sleeping in the warmth and comfort of the motel in Show Low, it was time to make the trek over to Springerville, about 45 miles down US60. There will be nothing between the two towns. So we have our supplies ready for the day. We will get there, as neither of us want to camp in this cold weather. The low temp last night was 22! I was never so grateful for a place to stay.
So I leave my warm and toasty room. I had all clean clothes, as the manager saw to it, and washed my clothes in their laundry area they use. They smelled so yummy! I think her washer sanitizes with scorching hot water. I don't think my clothes had ever been that clean. And certainly not in the last 16 days! 
I digress. Out the door, in the cold 22 degree air. I have hand warmers in my gloves. I'm ready!! Or so I thought. Within 1 mile, the police stop us. We are questioned as usual. They run our drivers license. Looks like we're clear. More questions, and off we go. We start along and within a mile, it starts snowing. We stop to cover necessary items and put our rain gear on. Off we go (again!). At Show Low, it's around 6000 ft. That's mile high territory. Hence, part of why we want to get from town to town while we can, for a motel. 
The rest of the day is calm, good and uneventful. I say that, but had the usual offer of rides, money, and water. (I never take money - or rides to town). One lady insisted I try a diet Pepsi black cherry. She gave me one and went on and on about it. All the while, her daughter sat watching this all go down. Poor thing. Just a usual day on US60.
I'm now at 7550 ft! The terrain is changing drastically. I love seeing it happen right before my eyes! The mountains are disappearing in the background, and the plains begin to show themselves to me. Plains, upon plains, with what appears to be mounds spread throughout. Although most of the road is rolling, we do continue to climb. Looking down, and around for miles is mesmerizing. This makes all the hard work worthwhile. I get to see it, admire it, and take it all in - for miles and miles. I never get tired of looking around.
So we made it the 45 miles to Springerville. (Both John and I's legs were sore from the previous 3 days of climbs). We are once again in a motel - and most grateful. It's cold out! There's a cold front that has come through. We will go another (almost) 50 miles tomorrow, to get to Quemado. And we go into New Mexico tomorrow!!! This is so exciting.
I've noticed more snakes here, than before. Maybe they enjoy the plains better than the mountains?
I have to be careful when I go off-road to potty!
Hygiene Report:
Showered - check! Teeth brushed - check! It's all good!!

New category:
Food Management: (weight maintenance)
So it seems the last three days of extra physical work and managing the cold weather has me blowing through calories. I eat off and on all day. I also started having a Ensure to get extra calories more easily. And a nightly quesadilla, if at all possible!
Tonight, David had called the hotel to ask them to take me to get my food (it was further away than usual), and he called in my food order to a local restaurant. A quesadilla, of course. This wonderful motel owner drive me down to pick up my food. (David had arranged for it). I felt extra special!! And it was so easy. The bonus was the chocolate peanut butter mousse with whipped cream, as dessert. Oh my goodness. It was a perfect evening!! Thank you, sweetie, for watching out for me from afar. Sure miss you.
Better get some rest. The road - and cold - beckons me early in the morning. And I'm going to New Mexico to see lots of new things there.
Hope your Friday was wonderful!!
Cyndi

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sweet of David!! Taking care of you! I love reading the stories of all the people you meet! Makes me realize there are still a lot of people in the world that still care for others, even strangers! It's amazing!! Keep up all your hard work! And yes, make sure you keep eating!!

Unknown said...

I am amazed by the change in weather from California to Arizona! Seems you went from really warm to really cold!

So glad David could help save you some time on your feet!! It continues to amaze me how you are not only making your miles down the road each day, but all the additional miles to get food, supplies, speciality shops (tires for the cart) and even detours to a motel at night!

Stay strong! You are doing great conquering all the challenges that come your way!

Kawika said...

The kindness of strangers is amazing! I did not ask anyone to assist you, but simply explained your circumstance that brings you to their hotel/motel/restaurant/store and they immediately want to help and make sure you are taken care of! Each in their own way becomes a part of your journey, your story, what will be your amazing adventure.
Love you tons, D