Saturday, April 11, 2015

Night 9, Day 10 and Night 10 - I'm behind on my blog!


We spent Night 9 camping again. It was off the highway, and not near the RR tracks. We made camp pretty quickly because we were both so tired. All of  day 9 was a climb. Only about 3 miles of a hard climb, but the rest was a slow and steady up. I'm getting used to setting my stuff up to sleep outdoors. I don't have a lot, it's more about making sure I have what I need around me before I take my shoes off, etc.
I awoke on day 10 (Friday), thinking "Yay! We will get to a hotel tonight!!". So far, the ratio has been 2:1. We camp twice as much as we stay in a motel. I will LOVE camping out when it gets warmer.  But when it's in the 30's and 40's, I'm not always a happy camper. No pun intended.
The US 60 to Wickenburg yesterday was extremely pleasant. We had easy traveling with a wide, smooth shoulder. It was a great day! And the best part? It was downhill (for miles) into the town of Wickenburg. I loved loved it!! We got a lot of running done in the morning, walking in the heat of the day, and then ran it into town. I want to thank the nice lady, with the white truck, that offered me a "ride into town". I do not like looking homeless. I try not to look that way. But that's just the way it is.
Before getting to the hotel in Wickenburg, there was a Mexican food restaurant, and guess who stopped? Yep, a quesadilla was calling my name! We had only gone thru one small town for the last 37 miles, and it only had a convenience store. So real food - and my favorite - was awesome! She even gave me extra guacamole.
Now, the FUNEST part of my day.......FaceTime - ing with Ms. Henard's 2nd grade class in Wylie. They are following me along my journey, and learning about the states, terrain, animals, and such as I move across the US. They made a poster with all kinds of inspirational words, and many of the children gave me such encouraging words!!! I loved every minute of it!! They got to ask questions, and they were all relevant and valuable questions. From "Aren't you scared camping at night?", to "How old are you?", to the ever-famous "Where do you poop?". I turned the camera towards the bush I was standing near, and showed them the type of place that happens. It's a bit shocking. But I think the 2nd grade boys liked it that you can pee/poop outside, not shower for 3 days, and sleep outside with snakes and spiders. The girls just stared, not quite sure what to make of it? It was a boost of positive energy, as the children are SO excited about the process!! I smiled the whole rest of the day. I think about those kiddos off and on throughout each day. It means a lot to me that they care so much. Thank you, Ms Henard, for allowing me the privilege of talking with the children. And, looks like we may do it again, next week.
Wickenburg is now my temporary residence, at least for the night. It's a great town! I ate well, slept well, and of course, got cleaned up!
Hygiene Report:
I showered!!!! I brushed my teeth, shaved my legs, and relaxed. I also got to do a load of laundry!!!! It made me feel normal again. What a nice stay it has been here. Perfection!

Now, with fresh smelling clothes, a reorganized cart, and fresh, clear mind, I set out on the road for day 11. With Phoenix in my sights.

Not sure where I will rest my head tonight, but I trust in this process.

Have a wonderful Saturday,
Cyndi

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So cool that you have a class of students following your us crossing!! So many lessons for those students - geography but also life leasons!