Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Day 28 - Really short day to Hereford, TX

This is, by far, the shortest day I've had yet. It has perfect timing, considering the last couple of days.
I'll take it! The terrain has changed drastically. I'm loving the fields and fields of cattle, green crops growing, and the crops blowing in the wind - as if their dancing. This is Beef Country!! Beef packing plants, agricultural businesses, huge tractors everywhere......esp driving down the shoulder toward me. Still plenty of trains! And much flatter, too. The headwind was a bit evil today, but I bet it won't be like that everyday. I just put my head down and move as best I can.
I really like this place. I want to move in one of those homes, down the long road, into the farm, that leads me to my log cabin. With horses, goats and even a grumpy donkey. All the chickens are running loose, chasing each other. David and I in our Wrangers and boots. We go to the Taco Shack on Friday nights for our Mexican food treat. Wake up......Your day dreaming again!! Well, it sounds good to me.
Tomorrow, I will be in Amarillo! I'll run to Canyon, first, then head up to Amarillo. I'll be going to a store called Get Fit, while I run through town. My running buddy/friend, Gates, has hooked me up with a care package he sent there. And the store will provide me a new pair of my favs......Altra's! How cool is that? It's going to be around 42ish miles. And I'll stay the night in Amarillo at a real hotel. Yes, that's spelled correctly. A hotel......not a motel. No, it won't become a habit. Motels are more "my thing" out here. I've grown to appreciate them greatly. Besides the Friona Inn last night, my other fav motel was Copper Mountain Motel. That was the one that was like a guest room in someone's house. People are very creative with their motels!
Anyway, I'm ready for my day tomorrow, esp since I had such a easy day today. And I got a lot of rest.
Hygiene Report:
I showered, of course. My cart is pristine from its rain bath yesterday. Everything is packed back in its place. I'm using my new lotion I bought yesterday, like crazy. And the motel here in Hereford is wonderful. I've got food and drink ready for a longer day tomorrow, and look forward to a relaxing evening tonight. I may even turn the TV on? I put my laundry in the wash, and am about to go get it and hang it to dry. When I went and checked on it, it was in the "wash" phase. Omgoodness, the water was disgusting. I've lost touch with how dirty my clothes are!! The last couple of days, with cars and trucks splashing the wet, road muck on me must have slipped my mind. Probably because yesterday, I lost myself. Yes, I went into "survival mode", and lost Cyndi. It's true. I was a zombie. Luckily, the Friona Inn saved me. I showered and slept, then found myself again this morning. I was back. I don't want to do that again.
Speaking of losing touch, I don't seem to keep up with the day of the week very well. They all run together. (Is that a running pun?). So when I begin to wish you a Happy ________, most of the time I have to look up what day of the week it is. So there's good and not-so-good things going on out here. All I know right now is that I'm in the Beef Capital of the World. Yep, the sign says so, so it must be true. Hereford. Maybe the winds will shift and I'll have a tailwind tomorrow. A girl can wish!
Cyndi

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the picture of the cows on Instagram.....it was like they were watching you wondering what you were doing out in the "Beed Capital of the World".

Maybe you need to enjoy some steak while out in this area. :)