Sunday, April 19, 2015

Night 17, Day 18, Night 18 - New Mexico

The motel in Springerville proved to be relaxing and rewarding in regards to sleep. Sometimes, I have trouble settling down after being on the move so much. Last night, I slept hard and got some much-needed rest. This helps me to be ready for the next day. These back to back longer days are tough, but it's what has to be done for awhile.
We left Springerville knowing it would be a longer day than even our previous long day (45 miles). Today would be 48 miles. We are heading to Quemado. The good news? There's a motel there! And once again, along the way, the one tiny town we pass through would not have any stores. So our carts were loaded for the day with everything we would need (or at least that the plan). It was about 36 degrees, and calm outside. Ahhhhh, if it just stayed like this all day, and we could move nicely. And we did for a few hours, but as we climbed ourselves out of Arizona, the elevation was increasing once again, and we came upon snow again. Not a lot of snow, but it was enough we would need to cover our things,  and put our rain stuff on. Before we knew it, we were about 14 miles down the road, and into New Mexico!!! I was so excited! My third state. And at this point, everything had dried out, and the sun was shining, the terrain flattened a bit and it was miles and miles of absolutely gorgeous land. The best way for me to describe it is "a feast for my eyes". I kept thinking......I'm in New Mexico! How did this happen? It's always fun to see the new areas.
What was different about this day was that on US60, there was no traffic. Really, none. It seemed that  along the whole 48 miles, 25 cars went by me. And maybe two 18-wheelers. The shoulder was generous, and you could hear all the activity of the animals. Mostly, birds......but out in the plains are cattle. They would watch me as I went by.
The one thing that was hard, was that as soon as we left Springerville, we lost cell service, and did not get it back until we were 4 miles from Quemado.
Once I arrived in Quemado, I realized how tiny it was. Only a car going by here and there. Quiet, small. Almost like a ghost town. But the wonderful surprise was the little motel, and that it had a cafe!!!! They are known for their green chili cheeseburgers. And I had one, ate it all, and can tell you, it was the best burger I've had in a long time! The people here are just living a different type of lifestyle than I've ever known. Very laid back, with only one "convenience " store in town, almost like they are in another world.
So after gathering some groceries, eating dinner, I went to my room and showered. And immediately to bed. Once again, I slept hard. My body is recovering in the night from these long, hard days.
So now it's Sunday, and we are headed to Datil. It's another small place, but this time, no motel. So we will camp out tonight. It's cold outside, but I will bundle up. Because I know the night after that we will be a another motel. And near Albuquerque!!! I've never been there.
I'm loving New Mexico. The little towns are so quaint, and not a lot going on from my viewpoint. Looks to be mainly Ranching activity. Makes me feel like I need to buy a truck.
My blogs are consisting of more days and nights together due to limited cell service. I know once we get near a larger populated area, that will improve. But estimate another day today of no service at all. And maybe none tonight?
Hygiene Report:
I showered last night and it felt so good! I washed my clothes in the shower with me. Definitely no laundry facilities here. I will find a washer again somewhere in the next few days.
We will get on the road to Datil in just a bit. We are getting a late start to help recover from the last two days of long miles. Today, will be no more than 40 miles, I think.
Better run! Have a wonderful Sunday! If I thought the traffic was light yesterday, I bet it will be that way again today.
Cyndi

1 comment:

Unknown said...

New Mexico - awesome!!

It is so interesting to hear about the small towns you are going through! Places most of us would never even know about....much less visit/experience!