Thursday, April 9, 2015

Night 8 and Day 9 - Camping, then onto Hope, Arizona and beyond

After about a 35 mile day on Day 8, we settled into a "camp" spot hidden well away from the  highway. It was near the RR tracks, and I can tell you that when a train would come through (which it did twice in the night), it would about shake me off the ground. Not my best nights sleep, but it will do. It got colder than I realized, and I awoke with a off/on shiver. I hustled to "break" camp and get on the road to warm up. What really woke me, I think, were the coyotes howling. I don't know how close they were, but I was ready to get away from them.
We got going early, and it was about 15 miles to a town. I said a prayer that they would have coffee. And lots of it! My prayers were answered, and in the small town of Hope, was a convenience store with fresh coffee. I had 3 tall cups. I spent a little time there recovering from the camp experience, and used their sink in their bathroom to shower. Bless them. It was a good stop!
Then it was onto Salome. It just keeps getting better, because they had a cafe. I ordered a quesadilla. Man, it was good!!! Unfortunately, it was while I was in Salome that I had a appt to speak with a 2nd grade class in Wylie (Ms. Hernard's class), who are following me along my way. I couldn't call because of lack of cell service. But I will try again soon. I look forward to answering the kids questions!!
The terrain is going from desert-like to farming. Things are greener now. I've seen quite a bit of cotton fields. Who knew? The one thing I found interesting was the wind funnels in the fields. It's like a mini-tornado......swirling up sand high in the air. Seems it happens a lot and often?
In the town of Hope, we turned onto US 60. This is exciting because the remainder of the route is on that highway! (With a few exceptions of small detours, which put us right back on it). So if your wondering how we'll be getting to Virginia Beach? It's via US60. That's where I will be.
We will be camping out again tonight. Oh goodie! But this time, I'm putting all my clothes on, that I have with me, so I won't get SO cold.
Hygiene Report:
I "cleaned up" using a sink (in Hope). I did brush my teeth, too! That's as close to a shower as I'm going to get today. I really need to wash my clothes, for real. They smell funky. Maybe one day.

I owe my feet an apology. I am torturing them. I'm very sorry. I hope they will forgive me.

I can tell you Arizona has such unique and special qualities in regards to the terrain. I love the tall cactus! I've not seen anything like them - they are HUGE! Tall, very round. And they are everywhere!! Love it.

We will still be moving more today. Slowly, making our way toward Phoenix.

Have a good rest of the day,
Cyndi

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Horray for lots of coffee and also a quesadilla!!

Hope you can stay warm tonight! Sounds like the temps really drop at night.

Bummer about the lack of cell service for you call to the class. It's neat that they are following you!

Texmexjack said...

Keep it up! Whoop!

Texmexjack said...

Keep it up! Whoop!