Saturday, April 11, 2015

Day 11 - Wickenburg to Phoenix

If I wasn't living this challenge day to day myself, I wouldn't believe it. It's like a dream. We move from town to town, and when I do stop, I feel the sensation of still moving. It's very unusual. My favorite time is after I shower. I relax a minute before bed, and think about the day. It's so much bigger than I'm able to wrap my head around sometimes. I'm having one of those moments tonight. What prompted it was when we went through Surprise, Arizona today. Judy (runner friend of mine), had told me her dad lives there, and if I needed anything, to let her know (thank you, Judy!!). At the time (a few weeks before we were to start this crossing) I thought, " I can't imagine getting to Arizona ." It just seemed so far off - and was it really possible? When I passed through the town of Surprise, I realized I have now gone farther than I thought would happen. Not sure why I had that boundary in my head? But now, any boundaries I had in my head are gone. And it's a bit surreal tonight.

Speaking of! I'm in a Motel 6 in Glendale, Arizona (about 45 miles today). The day is complete, and I'm thinking about what tomorrow will bring. We are on the outskirts of Phoenix, and will be going through it tomorrow. That's when it gets pretty slow moving. Traffic, lots of turns, and up and down sidewalks. It will be nice for a change of pace from US 60 (which I love love!). We will end up on US 60, we just have to make a few detours during some major cities. (We'll be primarily on US 60 til Virginia Beach). I'm looking forward to seeing the city. I don't think I've been there before?

My favorite town, so far, was the one we just came from. Wickenburg. They have bike lanes and walking paths ALL over the town. If I lived there, I don't think I'd need a car?!? I'll have to make a mental note about putting it on our possible retirement place. Bonus? The warm/hot weather......love it! Extra Bonus? The Mexican food place I ate at. Loved it, even though it was still "talking" to me the next day.

Today was a straight shot here. The shoulder was generous, food and drink readily available, and perfect weather. We passed through Sun City, as well. Very interesting! Lots to do around there!

Here in Glendale there's a little area of shops. Looks like it used to be a old neighborhood, and now the city changed it to a quaint shopping area. Each "house" is now a business. Very cool idea! I walked over to a bakery and got a Butterfinger Cake Ball. OMGoodness. Beside my fabulous lunch today (which I stopped and ate inside!), this was super yummy!!

I look forward to the process of navigating through Phoenix tomorrow. For now though, my motel bed is a wonderful retreat.

Hygiene Report:
For the first time, I showered two days in a row!! Being a Motel 6, there is no shampoo or amenities. But that's okay, I'm happy to be here! I'm safe, healthy, and pretty clean.

Thanks for listening, and I hope your Saturday was wonderful as well.

Cyndi

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Such interesting small towns you are getting to experience!! Glad you get to enjoy some of the tummies in the small towns! No doubt that cake ball tasted very very good after all your miles!!