Monday, April 20, 2015

Day 19!

What a wonderful day it was! We set out from the sleepy little town of Quedamo, (yesterday morning), after the sun had come up. We took a hour or two in the morning to "recover" from the harsh lashings our legs had taken the last 5 days. Starting in the daylight was calming. I would not be running today (only fast-walking), due to a muscle "knot" in my left quad that won't let go. I've asked a lot of my legs. After all, we have traveled over 700 miles. So today, legs, I'm giving you a break. I will say running is easier on my feet, and fast-walking is easier on my legs. It's a double-edged sword.
We made it without any issues to Pie Town. It's a real live, small town. With a cafe that would be open only one more hour after we arrived. NOTE: These small town cafes and convenience stores have the most unique hours. They open and close when they like, on the days they want, and are hard to predict their availability. So we stock up on supplies whenever we can.
Anyway! We stopped and ate a real meal. Sitting down at the Cafe. I had (second day in a row), another green chili hamburger. So yummy! And got a pulled pork sandwich to-go, to have for dinner. We would not have anything available to us when we arrive in Datil. The most interesting thing happened while we were there. We were thinking we would have to camp tonight, but the (only) waitress at the cafe happened to also work at the TINY 4 room motel in Datil! She got us rooms there, so we would not have to camp out in the cold!!! (Low of 22 that night). I was SO happy!!
The people around here just continue to amaze me. They care, they help, and it's always great meeting them, and talking to them. They have such interesting lives!!
I will be keeping this short today, as I'm using the country store (in Datil) wifi to send this. It's such a cool place! A little store in the middle of plains and plains of ranches and farms. We are heading to Magdelena today.
It was such a great day yesterday! I wish I could tell you more about it. But time restricts me today.

I am grateful for a warm place to sleep last night, and a cup of coffee this morning.

Have a great Monday!!

More later,
Cyndi 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Reading about the nice folks you meet and how they are willing to help really restores my faith in people!!
So glad you were able to stay in a motel last night instead of out in the cold!! I know you are tough....but you can be so much more productive with good rest!

I have never had a green chili hamburger! Guess I need to put that on the "to try" list. :)

And wow!! 19 days, 3 states and 700 miles.....incredibe!