Saturday, April 25, 2015

Day 25, Night 25

I would think it was my legs, my rested body, or all the food I've been eating. But really, it was the TAILWIND that got me to Fort Sumner so quickly today! 56.5 miles of wind at my back. How cool was that! It was plains and plains of cows, bulls, and horses. I really enjoyed the scenery today! US60 was like a back country road. Not well traveled, nice shoulder, quiet and peaceful. If I'm going to have a long mileage day, this was the perfect scenario.  I had two types of "company" with me today (John was behind me a ways). 1) Butterflies! Off and on the whole way, these white, sweet, butterflies fluttered around me and the cart. Playfully enjoying their day. I loved it! It made me smile.
And, 2) Trains. Lots and lots of trains!! I absolutely love the trains. The conductor/engineer would wave to me, and I would wave back enthusiastically. It was as if we were on a journey together. Union Pacific and me!!! The tracks ran beside me all day. Even as I entered Fort Sumner. What a great day. The last 6-7 miles were hard. My body just did not want to move quickly anymore. But I made it here. I have to listen to my body, and let it be.
At the Mile Marker 300 today, it would be 1000 miles for us!! I was so excited. And then the fact we will be in Texas soon is uplifting to my spirits. It was a productive day.
I came into Fort Sumner and our motel was right there. Usually, we try to get one across town, but the miles were long, and going right to a motel is nice. I rang the bell, and Tito answered the door and welcomed me. He's the nicest guy ever. He remembered me calling, knew I had run there, and had everything ready. Coffee maker in the room, refrigerator and microwave. Sweet! Not many motels have all that. Best part? He says, "I'm only going to charge you 20.00 to stay here tonight." Did I mention how much I love small towns (of course I have!!). Now, if you look up Coronado Motel, you might think you would not even pay 20.00 - or stay here. But I promise, it's not that bad. It's all in how you look at it.
Hygiene Report:
I showered, brushed my teeth, washed my feeties extra good because they are going in a fresh pair of running shoes tomorrow!!!! I put aloe all over my sun riden body. I assure you, I put on so much sunscreen that I look like a clown - as my face is completely covered!! But the sun is vicious. It's a battle that I am not winning. A price I'm paying to run across the U.S. I don't like it one bit, all this sun burn, I just do what I can. Apply and reapply.
I'm excited, as we leave town there's a convenience store that is open 24 hrs, so I'll have time to get stuff (and coffee to-go) for the day. I hate to even tell you, but we are going to attempt to get to Clovis. It's far, maybe a few more miles than today. But the day after that, we will back it off. We are just trying to get past these last long stretches. I'm asking a lot of my body. But it seems we keep making it happen. I'll probably go a bit slower tomorrow knowing I need to just get there when I get there. I booked us a motel in Clovis, and rain is forecasted. So I hope it will all work out well.
Everyday is something new and different. I look forward to it.
Better get some rest,
Cyndi

No comments: