Friday, April 24, 2015

Practicing Non-attachment in my life

I may be one of the most ritualistic people I know. I love wearing the same comfy clothes, eating the same comfort foods, going to bed early, and having coffee in the morning. I have learned that this is all good and fine. The key is not basing success on rituals. Not letting the outcome of your day be influenced by your rituals, or allowing your mind to trick you into what makes you successful.  Non-attachment (thank you, Gaia Flow Yoga) has allowed me to find balance with basing my "success" in any daily endeavor with out attaching it to my preferred rituals.
I have been learning to practice "non-attachment " in my life the last couple of years.
I began by letting go of post or pre race meals, what I intake during a race, disruptions of training, or what I wear while racing. I soon found my success was not changed. It's all mental. I still performed well - or better! Once I let go of what I "thought" contributed to my success (certain meals, minimum amt of sleep, etc),  I realized it was my physical and mental strength alone that provided my success. Sure, we need to treat our bodies well, but no ritual in particular is a actual necessity. Just the basics are good enough.
That's when everything changed for me. Now I'm free! If I don't "have" that coffee, the certain meal, that 8 hr sleep, I'm still going to do wonderfully!
This boiled over in my daily life. Not just training or racing. I now let go of things around the house I've kept forever. I evaluate what I have materialisticly more now. I know if I can't get that yoga pose, it's okay. It will come. No fretting necessary.
This all leads me to the side of the road. Non-attachment has been the reason for my success out here.
I can't have what I want when I want it, or how I want it. And that's all okay. I'm still going to get out there and do my best. Nothing is predictable. Weather, sleeping arrangements, type of food, drink, cell service, cart maintainace. Just when you think things are under control, something happens. That's life in general. Out here - or at home. So I can't "wash" my apple, no coffee around, sleep is minimal, or another flat tire. I can't let it beat me down mentally. Dirty or not, get up and go. There's things to do, miles to move, people to meet.
I may be happy when I get that quesadilla, or cup of coffee. Those are bonuses in my life. I simply need my basic needs met of food, drink, some sleep and warmth. Any other items than the basic things to keep me alive, I practice non-attachment with.
That is the secret to my success thus far. Letting go. Letting it be exactly as it is. Don't fight it. It only makes it worse.
I'm a huge advocate of "what works for me may not work for others". I wanted to share this concept I use, that allows me to move through the challenges I face daily. There's so much more to non-attachment, but I think you got the idea. Non-attachment. Love it.

Happy Friday!
Cyndi