Friday, April 24, 2015

Night 23, into Day 24/Night 24

I left the cash for my "room service" meal in the Corona motel early this morning, and the guy who checked me in (yesterday), had said he would take it over to the Cafe when they opened later today. The Cafe trusted me yesterday, to fix me a meal, bring it over, and accept payment the next day. I had tried to pay on the phone, but that's not how they do it. "Pay when you can, the motel guy will bring it to us". I still shake my head in amazement. Never, ever, ever in the Dallas area would someone bring you a meal (where your not even at yet!), and say paying tomorrow is "okay". This trip has really opened my eyes to a lifestyle of trust, true caring, and fascinating people. I really never knew this was all going on.
And so we set out from Corona for a "short" day of 35 miles to Vaughn. It appeared to be going well. A little more up and downs than yesterday, but no biggie. It's a beautiful day to move forward in whatever way feels good. Fast walk, run, slow jog. Then, the wind picks up. It's a cross wind at first, which makes me have to hold onto the cart more (gusts of 30 according to the news). I have my hood up because the wind is jostling me around pretty good. After awhile, I stop to potty and notice what's behind me. Uh oh. Dark, angry clouds. The news had said "maybe rain". This was definitely rain. Must run. Must run faster. The wind turns a bit, and is now a tailwind. Nice, but it means that storm is coming. I ran from that storm for miles and miles. It would start sprinkling, and stop. It was catching me. I was afraid to look behind me. I knew I was getting close to Vaughn......about 4 miles away when it caught me. Sprinkles, light rain, rain. I hustled my bustle, yet there's only so much you can do in that situation. I went in the first convenience store for supplies, and to take cover from the rain. I knew my motel was about 1 more mile. I could do it! It would be worth it to be there, shower, get warm. I bought a coffee, some supplies, put everything in my cart, and started toward my motel. I literally ran with the coffee in my left hand, and pushed the cart with my right. It was raining, but not horribly. I was okay with that. I made it to the motel, and went inside whereby the man who runs it said, "You must be Cyndi". (I had made the reservation two days ago, and told him I'd be running there). He checked me in, and told me he was giving me a room that had the carpets cleaned yesterday. He walked me to my room (which smells SO nice, and is SO clean!). He had a long lighter (like you light a gas fire place with) in his hand. He went inside the room (#2 out of about 12 rooms), and used that lighter to light the pilot light to the furnace. He said he'd like to get the room warm to help get me warm. I'm sure I looked like a drowned rat. I had stayed warm because I was running as fast as I could with my cart!! I think the room heated up to about 95 degrees in a matter of 15 minutes. It felt so good! I showered, and got my cart cleaned out, and everything out to dry in the room. I will pack more in my plastic bags tomorrow. I didn't have a lot "really" wet, just some things a little moist.
The motel man had told me (when I checked in), that I could dry my stuff in their laundry area, or wash it and dry it. He was trying to help me out. I did end up washing my things. And thanked him profusely. People are innately good. I see it over and over, and have yet to see anything bad. I had quite a few family and friends worry about my safety on this trip. I will tell you, bad things can happen, yet I'm constantly grateful for the kindness of people in these small towns. It's overwhelming, esp when my emotions are so fragile from exhaustion, rain, hunger, or just missing home.
And that's not even the best part. There's a Cafe open, just down the way, that stays open 24 hours. Not only will I get a warm dinner, but I could actually get a warm breakfast, too! I'm a happy girl!! That will be helpful, as we are going to try and make the 58 miles to Fort Sumner tomorrow. We are concerned about more rain......and neither of us wants to camp in the rain. So we figure we'd rather keep moving and get to a motel. Even if it's late, it will be a dry place to stay for the night.
The logistics of moving from town to town can be tricky. Factor in weather, availability of supplies, and terrain, and it can be a guessing game on some days. Flexibility is critical. Being self-supported means things don't always pan out exactly as we want. That's where the mental aspect comes into play. Just go with it. Don't fight it. And then things will work out.
So as I sit here in my warm Room #2 at the Bel Air Motel in Vaughn, I am content. I can do 58 miles tomorrow. It's a long day, but it will get us closer to the area along U.S. 60 when towns start coming along closer and closer together. It won't always be those long crazy days. After all, you can only do that for so long.
I want to thank everyone for all your sweet words, your supportive ways, and for being there for me. I cannot do this alone. It takes all of us to make it happen. So I thank you for following me. It makes it a journey we are all on. I need that to make it through.
I look forward to seeing many of you along my way in Texas and Oklahoma! How exciting that will be! Just look for the crazy lady pushing a cart on US60. Maybe you want to push the cart awhile, you say? Well, okay, if you insist.
Enjoy your weekend!!!
Cyndi

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope you got to enjoy a warm, home cooked breakfast before starting out for today! Maybe they would be so kind as to pack you a snack for later as well??

You have been so blessed with wonderful, kind, trusting people along your way! It is really restoring my faith in humanity! (Like you...not sure this would happen in DFW.)