Thursday, April 23, 2015

Night 22

Yesterday, I realized how ritualistic my life has become now. In many ways, I consider this a good thing. It's taken me weeks for everything to find "it's place" in my cart. (At first, I was always looking for things, moving things around, etc). I find now, that I go through the same steps each morning when preparing for my day (exception being when we camp......it's not quite as organized yet). I know what foods are my comfort foods, I know I need to eat a lot, and have become well-versed on washing my clothes in the shower. I compare this to my "real life" I had before I started this journey. I had my routine there, that's for sure! So, it makes me happy to "find" my routine out here on the road, where life is not as predictable.
New Mexico has been the hardest state for me to cross so far. The extreme weather temps, the long stretches with not a lot in between, and still quite a bit of climbing in all the areas. I'm hanging in there......but spend my fair share of time on the struggle bus.
Last night was nice. I stayed at Four Winds Motel in Carrizozo. There's a restaurant nearby (named the same - Four Winds). There's convenience stores. And there's 54 down the road waiting to take me to Corona today. There's one motel in Corona, called Corona Quilt Motel. We were going to camp, but will stay there instead. Motels make me happy, I won't mince any words about that. I feel safe, warm, and it's a luxury. After Corona, the following day we travel onto Vaughn, where by we will stay at the Best Western Bel-Air. Sounds fancy. If you google it, you will see just what it looks like. I'll be happy to be there regardless. At Vaughn, we get back on US 60. So that's the plan for the next few days.
We have a ways to go today. Not in the 50's though! It will be 40-something. I'm going to try and keep a good pace of the climbs aren't too bad. The RR will follow us there, and it's a very busy section of RR. That's always nice, as I find the trains peaceful and entertaining to watch. (And how hilly can it be with RR tracks, right??!!).
Hygiene Report:
Everything about me - and my clothes - are clean. I'm ready for what the day will bring. I did not take any pictures yesterday, that's the first day I haven't. Today, I will.
Not sure how much cell service I'll have, but that's the way it is on these long stretches.
I leave Carrizozo, and have really enjoyed my stay here. I just really love these small towns. They are by far my favorite part of it all.
Have a wonderful day!!
Cyndi

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had to smile when I Googled the motels you listed. :) Interestingly, the reviews all mention how nice and helpful the owners/staff are....certainly something you have found in your recent stays!!
Hope the train tracks mean less climbs today.....to go along with a little less miles!

Thank you for keeping up this blog! It is a highlight in my day to read about your day/night and hear about your adventures - both the miles/road but also the interesting people and places!

Unknown said...

We are all thinking of you here at Stonebridge Surgery Center. So proud of ya.