Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Day 21

There's a few things I forgot to mention about the motel in Magdelena last night, besides the motel-dog. This motel is run by volunteers in the community. Yesterday, a sweet lady (most everyone is Indian, as a Reservation is close by), helped check me in. There as well, helping out, was a man by the name of Robert.  He's the Judge in the town, a firefighter, and helps with the motel. Judge Robert offered me a ice cream cone upon check-in. I said, of course, "Yes!!!". He made me a cone with Blue Bell Coffee flavor and also Dutch Choc. What a nice treat that was. 
As we made our way from Magdelena to Socorro, it was comfortable conditions. It was about 27 miles. As I went through town, I turned onto Hwy 1. There I found a Mexican food restaurant! Before I head out to nowhere land, I ordered two quesadilla 's - to go! I ate one for lunch, and when I make camp tonight, I'll have the other for dinner. I'm eating well - and lots! When I do sit down to eat at a restaurant (every now and then), I look like a wild animal does with fresh roadkill. I am ravenous. I attack it, rarely looking up. Only for air. I'm sure the waitresses think, "dang, she hungry.". I just can hardly help my self control. I just put my head down and eat. 
After being on Hwy 1 for about 10 miles, I turned east on 380. Yes, this is the same 380 that would bring me straight home to Celina. (We are using it to get to 54 in Carrizozo to take us back to US60 via detouring around Albuquerque). Today and tomorrow are 50+ mile days. There's nothing out here, so we just keep going. Okay, there's this White Sands Missile area we will go through. And a few ghost towns! Really! It's so pretty to look at, the of weather is pleasant, and I'm really enjoying it! This is what it's all about. 
I'm ahead of john, so it's my responsibility to stop at around mile 52, and make camp. How does he know where I am? I put one of my flashy-blinky lights on the mile marker I'm at (opposite side of the highway), and then he'll know I'm around. I tend to go faster later in the day than he does, so it's not unusual that I arrive first. We have a nice balance in how we do things. That way we can each "go our own pace", but end up at the same place. We talk about it every morning, so we always have a plan in place. 
We will camp tonight, then head out tomorrow for Carrizozo. It should be right at 50 miles tomorrow, and a motel awaits us! 
Luckily, we are not at the high altitude we were, so hopefully it will only get in the low 30's tonight. Time will tell!! 
Hygiene Report:
No shower, same clothes again. But they were washed last night!! 
Due to minimal services out here, I loaded my cart up before I left Socorro. 
It's just miles and miles of shear beauty. If I feel down or tired, all I need to do is look around. Then things are fine. Yes, there are times I am inconsolable. It's true. But it passes. And I know it will pass and wait it out. The mind has to stay strong. No other choice. 
Happy hump day to everyone!
Cyndi

1 comment:

Texmexjack said...

You are moving along way faster than I could have imagined. Whoop!