Monday, April 20, 2015

Day 20, Night 20

In the last 24-48 hours, I have:

Hit our highest elevation of 8125
Went thru the Cibola National Forest
Eaten two green chili hamburgers
Had choc cream pie in Pie Town
Went by the National Radio Astronomy Observatory, and saw the fields of VLA's
Stayed in the tiniest motel ever (4 rooms)
Passed the Continental Divide (elevation 7796)
Have never gone so long without cell service 
Are almost at 800 miles
In Datil, we were officially 1/4 completion of our journey


Now, today, Day 20, we went from Datil to Magdelena. It was a beautiful day! There would be nothing between these two towns, but luckily, there is a motel waiting for us. 
I enjoyed the plains, the clouds moving and changing throughout the day, and the minimal traffic on US60. There has been such a small amount of traffic (probably because there's not a lot out here these last couple of days), that I could potty (#1), change clothes, or just run down the middle of the highway - if I wanted. When there is a vehicle, it's usually a truck. With a cowboy, in his uniform, of Wranglers, big belt buckle, boots and black hat. It makes me feel the need to buy a truck. That's just what you do out here!!
I made it without incident to Magdelena. But as I went through town, everything was closed. And it wasn't late. I had trouble locating the motel, and stopped at another small motel to ask where mine was. She told me, then also informed me the (one) cafe was closed. She then went to her kitchen, and brought me a dinner in a brown paper sack of a sandwich, chips, an apple, banana and granola bar. She said that was "her donation" to me. I cannot begin to tell you how nice these people in these small towns are. They always help me, are always kind, and very informative. Besides the beauty of the land, meeting all these people is something I will never forget. 
We leave this sweet, little place in the morning to go to Socorro. If your following on a map, we will then turn into Highway 1. We will take that to San Antonio (NM). There, we will take 380. We are doing this to go around Albuquerque. It looks to be a camping night tomorrow night. (Even though sometimes it turns into a motel night, accidentally). I am not sure how cell service will be. I'm hoping it will get better. 
Hygiene Report:
I've showered! And the maid at this motel took my running clothes and jacket, and went and put it in her washer. I'm telling you......there's so many good people in this world. 
I'm excited to start out on these next few "longer " days with clean clothes. 
Other hygiene things:
It's a race between my cuticles and nails. Who will win? Looks like the cuticles have it.
A unibrow has begun. 
The hair on my chiny chin chin can soon be braided.
Oh well, that's all part of this experience. I will get myself "back to normal " before I see anyone when I get back home!
My feet are hanging in there. I do a lot of preventive maintenance. I have three blisters that I have under control. The goal is not to have anymore. 
My left quad is settling down. 
Overall, all's well. 

I hope your week is progressing nicely,
Cyndi

1 comment:

Gates said...

Well all looks well for you I enjoy your post and look forward to reading them.
I hope you are being honest. Just when you do have a real bad bad day we still want to hear it. So far for 20 days things are good.