Thursday, April 16, 2015

Night 15, Day 16 (Thursday), and Night 16

I'm putting the last 24 hours (or so) in this blog. I got behind because cell service in the mountains, national forest, canyon, and Indian reservation had limited service.

I last left off with my Salt River Canyon experience. I'm still not certain I will "get over" that day in my life. I still can't believe I did that. The downs were so steep, and the ups were tedious, vicious and seemingly never-ending. I was secretly proud of myself after we were "officially" out of the Canyon. But then we were still climbing, just in a different place (Apache reservation).

I must say, they warned us. They warned us that the Indian Reservation folks do not like people like us bush/wild camping on their land. We had to (in Night 15) in order to get through that section of US60. So about 7-8 miles out of the Canyon and into the Reservation, we found a place to hide and camp. It was all going fairly well, until about midnight.....when the temperature took a dive. When the alarm went off, we were both shocked at the temperature. It was below freezing. I knew it, I could feel it - as I was SO cold in my sleeping bag. It was a rough start. Shaking, trying to use my cold hands to put away my things, not wanting to eat because I'd need to take my gloves off. It was hard. I rode the struggle bus for quite a few hours til the sun started to rise. I think what made it tough on me was the last two days of climbing mountains, along with two not-so-great camping nights, was taking a toll on me. And I knew we had lots of climbing to do all day again. My only choice was to put my head down and keep moving. I had to "dig deep". I had to find the strength, when things seem so bleak, to keep going. I have several layers to my mental game. First, is where I talk to myself and "get my mind right". If that isn't cutting it, I have to look more inward and "dig deep" for strength. Reminding myself that daylight will come, I can do this, and don't let it get me down. There will be dark moments. Yet, the light always returns. You just have to wait for it, and trust in yourself. I get REAL quiet during these times. I endure. I move along, waiting and trusting it will be okay.....eventually. I can't let lack of sleep, or anything actually, get in my way of forward movement. Daylight came, the gorgeous sunrise greeted me as usual. And all slates were wiped clean. A fresh day had begun, and now it was time to do what I do best. Really get moving. I looked, listened and smelled nature for those miles. It's like a can't soak it up enough. I just look and look and look. Constantly amazed at what's around me. It's what makes it so worthwhile.
At sunrise, the people of the reservation are heading out to work.....mostly in Show Low (where I happen to be going, of course). I had several offers of "need a ride to town?" from well-meaning people. But what really got me was a Indian lady heading to her work. She pulled over and offered me water. I saw her digging through her lunch box to give me her food and fruit. I said "no, thanks", but she insisted. She was so sweet and caring. She asked me my name, and said she was going to, right then, say a prayer for my safety. As she pulled away, I started crying. Balling like a baby, actually. I'm running and crying now. She had given me her things. I was so touched. Then, somehow, she finds me shortly thereafter, and has brought me more things! I was still crying from when I saw her before. Now, she's giving me a diet coke, a crystal lite to go in my water, and a orange. I could not believe it. She was spending her morning trying to help me out. I thanked her profusely. She drove away waving.......and I cried for a couple more miles. My emotions were so raw from lack of sleep and exhaustion. She was my angel today. Watching over me. I arrived safely to Show Low, I would say, because of her. I wish I could tell her what that all meant to me. So much.
I did arrive in Show Low, stopping at the first convenience store for coffee. Much needed coffee. There I found several people striking up a conversation with me whereby "they last saw me". It's intriguing to them. What am I doing? Where am I going? That's part of all this fun.....talking to others, learning about them, as well. I love every minute of the people-interaction. Never a dull moment!
So with that long 85-90 mile "no services" area, along with climbs and camping completed,  I lay in a warm motel with fresh laundered clothes. Ready for what tomorrow will bring. I look forward to it each day.
Luckily, there are more levels to my mental game. I haven't had to "go there" yet. But these last 3 days have been the toughest, and pushed me to my personal edge. I knew first thing today, that in 40 miles, a warm shower and motel await. That in itself will set my heels blazing.
Hygiene Report:
I'm happy to announce that I am once again back to normal. Showered, teeth scrubbed, lotion to my dry/wind burned skin. I understand it will only be a short while tomorrow before the dirt starts acquiring again. But it's always good to feel refreshed and clean - now and then - to remind myself what it feels like. I like it a lot.
I always love reading your thoughts and comments you give back to me. I appreciate you for keeping up with me, supporting me, and cheering me on. I couldn't do without it.
Time to rest,
Cyndi

3 comments:

Steve M said...

Amazing progress Cyndi. Your blog is heartwarming, your exploits inspiring. Rock on!

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I'm almost started crying too!! That lady was definitely your guardian angel!

karen alexeev said...

where is John?