Monday, April 27, 2015

Day 26 - What is normal? And Night 26, too.

As I was talking to David this morning, he mentioned something about "going 60 miles in new shoes today". I hadn't given it much thought, but maybe that isn't normally what people do in new shoes. My new "normal" has taken over. Any type of food any time of day. Wearing dirty clothes, shopping at convenience stores. And going 60 miles in new running shoes. I can assure you, this is temporary, and what I have to do to make it out here. Some of these motels I've been in would normally require some kind of therapy after staying there. I just don't have time to think much about it. I simply see: shower, bed, and warmth.

Getting to Clovis today is a blessing. Get ready, Gates:  It was a A$$ whooping. There, I said it. I haven't covered (completely) some of the somewhat unpleasant details of some of the days because by the end of the day, they all magically disappear, and only the good is left. And it is not in my nature to dwell on the "not-so-good" part of any day.

So I will give some "ugly" details of what really happened today.

First, it started out beautiful! Starting early because of the high mileage. (Total mileage today was right about 63 miles). The high mileage was necessary due to the bad weather coming, and neither of us are a big fan of camping in the rain. So we traveled long to get to a motel.
During those miles today, I experienced:
High traffic on US60, which results in noise "pollution " for hours and hours.
Rain - off and on, some worse than other times . Never enjoyable due to the temps falling.
No thunder/lightning (Sheryl, no selfie of me hiding under a tree today).
Wind - cross winds, tailwind (for a minute), but mainly headwinds.
Terrain - slow, gentle ups (not alot of downs today)
So, after I wrote that just now, it doesn't sound that bad. It's just that it was 63 miles of it, I guess. My main time-sucker was taking on and off my rain gear (it gets quite warm), making sure everything is covered on my cart, getting food out of the cart throughout the day, on and off with my regular jacket, and correcting hot-spots on my feet, while they get used to my new shoes. The reason my jacket and Raingear was off and on was because the weather changes quickly. Clouds, rain, sunshine, rain again, clouds, little sunshine, cooler wind, etc. You get the idea.
I am most grateful to be inside. It's going to rain most of the night, and tomorrow.
Speaking of tomorrow, we go 35 miles to Friona, TEXAS! There is one motel there, and we will stay there. Our biggest obstacle will be: more rain tomorrow. But after that, the weather looks to be sunny from Tuesday on. So I can deal with it tomorrow. It's never pleasant, but it's part of doing this. And so we will!
Hygiene Report:
Even though I got in later than usual, I threw a load of laundry in the washer here at the motel. I ate a banana with some PB, and showered. Man, do I feel better!
We are both going to start a little later tomorrow, maybe around 7am? Part of it will depend on the rain and conditions. Looks like a cold front is pushing through, with a high tomorrow of 48.

Good news? I don't go too far before I'm in Texas! And interestingly enough, another time zone change occurred, and I'm now on Central time. I lost an hour, today of all days, dang it.

Better get to bed to be ready for what tomorrow brings. I'll be as ready as I can!!

Happy Monday to everyone!
Cyndi



1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are definitely practicing your non-attachment....today was a perfect example! (All though much of these last 26 days have been full of non-attachment!!)

So proud of you! Was sending lots of positive thoughts/prayers yesterday and watching your progress! I have always considered you superwomen....but my new name for you is Super Cyndi. I am not sure I know anyone else that could have done what you two did yesterday!

Texas bound on day 27....awesome!!

Stay strong! Love and miss you! But hope to see you in the next couple weeks!