Monday, April 20, 2015

More FAQ's..........

I've had a few more questions posed to me......there are some I threw in there. You will probably recognize those. Here we go:

1) Do I have a foam roller or ice packs to help out?

Actually, I don't have any of that. David has been encouraging me to take a ice bath in the evenings when I can, but a hot shower just feels so much better. After I shower, I just want to rest. I had the "knot" in my left quad yesterday (and the day before that), but it finally "let go", and settled down yesterday afternoon. It's still a touch sore, but appears to be settling down nicely.

2) What exactly is "your cart"?

It's a Bob Running Stroller. There are different varieties of Bob strollers. I have the Ironman version with a "fixed" front wheel. It's the lighter weight one, weighing about 30 lbs, yet it weighs more now since I got the heavy duty tires, thorn resistance tubes and liners in my tires. It's worth the extra weigh to not have to change flat tires all the time.
The remaining things in my cart total anywhere from 35-50 lbs. Depending on how much water I need to be carrying at any given time. (1 gallon water = 8 lbs).

3) Why don't I start a fire when we "camp" out - and it's cold?

We cannot start a fire for two reasons. First, there's a ban against it right now due to wildfire risk. And second, since we are wild/bush camping, we do not want to call attention to ourselves. We try to be incognito when we camp out.

4) What did Robin say to Batman?

"Holy crap, Batman, did you get a whiff of Cyndi's shoes? They wreak!!!"

Yes, my shoes stink for a variety of reasons. All your guesses are probably correct. I plan on putting a new pair on around 1000 miles. And I promise, I'll throw these away.

5) What is my favorite "cart food" meal?

When we don't have any services (ie cafe, restaurant or even convenience stores available), my favorite thing to do is take a couple of tortillas (I keep in my food bag), and open a can of Bean Dip (every convenience store has that!), and make a burrito. Sort of. I sometimes sneak a salsa packet from a convenience store), and put that on, too. It seems like a meal, which is important for my mind to think I've had a actual lunch or dinner.

6) What is the time difference?

When we started in California, it was a 2 hr difference in regards to Central Std Time (Dallas area). Yet, when we crossed into New Mexico, it changed to a one hour difference.

7) What is my favorite thing about New Mexico?

I love the terrain, the people, and the clouds. The clouds here in NM are unlike anywhere I've been yet. They change throughout the day. They are light and nice, then dark and angry. It can change in a split minute.
But my very favorite thing NM does that no other state has done (yet), is that they have "litter barrels" along U.S. 60 every so often. That allows me to throw my trash away, and not let it pile up in my cart. Many days we go all day without any real towns. So I love those litter barrels!!!

8) What is the highest elevation you will travel to?

Our highest elevation was today. Approx 8125. Nowhere to go but down now. Or, up and down, and up and down. I'm looking forward to lower elevations, due to the cooler weather up here!

9) Why do I always say "motel" and not "hotel"?

These small towns only have motels. Usually, anywhere from 4 rooms to 15 rooms. They are not somewhere you would normally stop. Because if you were in a car, you'd drive to a bigger city with a nice place to stay. They are not typically nice, but they are warm, have a shower and bed.
It's interesting, in this type of situation, I go "back to the basics". I need food, water, warmth, and rest. Everything else is a bonus in life.

No comments: