Monday, April 13, 2015

Day 13 - Amazing Day!

This day is the reason why I'm doing this crossing. Everything about this day was wonderful! Even the headwinds (lasted for only half the day), to the major climbs, the fun downs, to the beauty of the area. It all came together, into a perfectly tough, fun, exilerating and reason-I'm-doing-this kind of day. I loved it all! I love the challenge, the coordination of food/hydration, and listening to my body's needs. When I do, it treats me well in return. I could go on and on about how I loved this day. When I reached the top after miles of climbing, you would have thought I just won the lottery. I raised my arms high above my head, waving my hands, smiling, like I was crossing a invisible finish line. It was the view from atop that mountain that took my breath away. I'm sure the cars passing by were unsure of it all. And I ran the whole descent, using my brake on my cart, SINGING to my music the whole way. Just happy and elated. A 40 mile day - and it felt good.
I ran on in into Superior, which is now my new favorite town (I think I'm going to have lots of "favorite " towns). So safe, quaint, beautiful (that word does not do it justice), and peaceful. It's crawling with hikers. Most are long distance hikers, hiking the Arizona Trail. The vibe here is what I really enjoy. Laid back, active people, who don't think what I'm doing is crazy. This may be the only place so far where people do not think I'm homeless.
And you are NOT going to believe this. Upon reaching the edge of town, the first place I come to is a restaurant. Yes, a Mexican restaurant!!! Really? Yes, really! And they hand make their tortillas, homemade real guacamole, and you guessed it.......I had a quesadilla. My life is so good. How does this happen??
Okay, wait, it gets better. There's a motel here, and we got the last rooms. It's a small, cute, well-kept place, mostly occupied by the hikers here. The rooms are like a room in your house. And upon check-in, the guy (who owns it and does everything here), gave me change for the washer/dryer, two dryer sheets, and detergent for the washer. It really doesn't get better than this. I never want to leave here. I could hike every day in these gorgeous mountains.
As you can tell, this is by far a day to remember. This is the kind of day that makes the more "unpleasant " days disappear. I had such a fantastic time, and it makes it all worthwhile. It reminds me why I picked to do this crossing.
Unfortunately, I must put a end to the day, and head to bed. If I thought we climbed a lot today, tomorrow will bring much more of that. That's okay, a little sleep and rest, and I'll be ready.
Night night,
Cyndi

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I feel the excitement and energy of the day in your post....wish I had been there to run down that descent with you....would love to have been a part of that!! So happy for you that your crossing is going well - today marks the end of the first two weeks....congrats!