Sunday, April 5, 2015

Night 4 - Yucca Valley

Happy Easter! I hope things are well with everyone. I awoke early this morning, and look forward to seeing Joshua Tree later today. We left out of Morongo Valley last evening,  made it to Yucca Valley last night. (About 10 miles apart). As soon as we made it into town, there was a Travelodge right there! We stayed there last night, as we know the next 3 nights will most likely be camping in the desert. We weren't yet ready to settle for the night yesterday in the "wind farm", as we were feeling good to continue. (We can make decent time when the "ball of fire" begins to set). The turbines make a calming, swooshing sound, so it would have been a good place to sleep. The locals mentioned to us to be mindful of the rattlesnakes, though. They are prevalent out there. As we traveled on the jeep roads (dirt), we were watchful.
As I had mentioned, we are now on CA 62, and the shoulder is quite generous. We go against traffic, and take safety precautions, such as red blinking lights on us, and the cart, as well as staying close to the side of the road. I can't say for sure, maybe there are more mountains to go through today for awhile, but then desert will begin. Time will tell. Hard to believe it will be desert-flat, after being so mountain-like for so long. The beauty of it makes me smile, as I travel down the road.
We will be heading down US62 to Joshua Tree, in the city of Twentynine Palms. This is in the southern Mojave Desert. We will stock up on supplies, before making our trek there. Once we get there, there should be abundant availability for addt supplies, for the long stretch of 80-90 miles in the desert, without the ability to get food or water. I'll outline what our plan will be later on that. Today, we will eventually get to more supplies (much later on). Yay! I'm nervous about the 2-3 day, with no civilization-thing. That will be new to me.
Hygiene Report:
I am happy to report after being on dirt trails and highway yesterday, I DID shower last night. Teeth brushing and AC were side benefits. The one thing now posing a challenge, is the foot situation. I have a few areas of rubbing and blistering. I did some management on them yesterday. The preventive maintenance I was doing helped, but the heat and hot pavement is hard to fight against. My goal today will be to not develop any further issues. The time has come to juggle this problem, as it will be on-going from here out. Body glide is my friend, but does not come near helping after awhile. Blister band aids, and being mindful of developing "hot spots" is key right now.
Oh yeah! I bet your thinking.....what about her dirty clothes? Well, they shower with me every time I do. I have fabrics that are quick drying, so by the morning, they are fresh and dry.

Thanks for listening, and I wish you a nice Sunday. I hear it may rain in the Dallas area?

I want to congratulate Sheryl, Gene and Matt on their amazing Half Marathon finish on Saturday!!!!! You guys rocked it - and I'm so proud of y'all!!!

I look forward to seeing the desert up close, and personal. Got my hat and sunscreen ready to go!

Missing everyone,
Cyndi

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Easter! Enjoy your journey to Joshua Tree......it is amazing to think you have already seen the shoreline, the LA area, mountains and are now moving towards the desert.
You are in our thoughts/prayers today and every day fo safe travels and good health. I know you will find a way to manage the feet challenges. So proud of you!

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter!! I hope you can get your blisters healed, I'm sure it's hard to deal with when you are literally always on the run! I bet the blister bandages help a lot!! Be careful out there in the desert!!!