Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Day 14 - Heading into the blue yonder

As we finish up Day 14, I foresee a day or two without services - or cell service. We are prepared to go about 85 miles until we reach civilization again. We did it before, and should manage well again. Tomorrow we go through Salt River Canyon. Down....then a 3 mile climb out. I have lots of water in my cart. It's heavy, but a necessity.
Today was good! Started at around 2800 and up to around 4600. I had a DQ dip cone on the way out of town, so I'm good to go!!
Camping tonight, then again tomorrow night. Then, we should reach Show Low for a motel that third night from now.
Hygiene Report:
Hence, I can safely say no shower. I will brush my teeth! But that's about it. By the time we make camp, I'll be ready to sleep.
The weather has been nice. Windy, low 80's during the day.

FAQ's

What do you eat?
Lots of fruit. Bananas, apples and plums. I eat a lot of peanut butter! Some Cliff bars. I try to eat decent food when we reach a town. My fav? You already know, a quesadilla. But I enjoy breakfast burritos from local Mexican food restaurants whenever I get the chance.

What is my favorite time of the day?
Sunrise, for sure. Besides the beauty, I can see the road again. The weather is perfect at the time, too.
I imagine you might have thought it would be bedtime. That's my second favorite time of day.

What is my least favorite time of day?
The first mile. It's always dark, I'm not quite awake, and crave to be back in bed.

How do I keep my devices (lights, phone, satellite device) charged?
I have two solar chargers (and one is quite large that drapes across my cart). Then I have two small portable chargers, too (one is the one you gave me, Sheryl. Thanks!!). When I have time, in front of all Circle K convenience stores are outside plugs. Sometimes I use that to boost my charge on a particular device. Sneaky, sneaky.

What drinks do I carry?
Unsweet tea, of course (if possible), lots of water, diet coke and sometimes diet DP. The caffeine is helpful to me. I get coffee when I can, too! Every now and then I get a Vitamin Water.

What shoes do I wear?
My Altra Intuition's, size 8 - exclusively. I brought a pair of "Nike slides" that I may put on at the end of the day now and then (David got those for me.....thank you!!).

What is my sleeping bag rated?
Down to 40 degrees. But with it inside my bivy sack, I'm okay with high 30's. I will say I'm looking forward to warmer nights. It's tough for me to crawl out of that warm sleeping bag in the cold air!!

Did I bring any tools along?
Yes, I have a Leatherman Surge that has all kinds of tools and knives in it. It's good for protection, too.

One of most important things I always keep handy on my cart?
Tissues, paper napkins and wipes for potty-needs.

If you have a question, let me know and I'll try to answer it!
Have a nice evening!
Cyndi

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the FAQs!! It's like you can anticipate the questions we are "thinking'!!

One question - do you have any type of roller to help your muscles? Or ice packs you can cool while at motels? Just curous :)