Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Day and Night 49 - Poplar Bluff, MO

Day 49, from Van Buren to Poplar Bluff, was the best example for letting you know how relaxing, fun, and enjoyable it can be out here. Even when high milage days occur. I wanted to paint the picture of the reason why I love this so much.
It would be a 47 mile day. Hills to climb. Some with a steep grade, others pleasant. I began at around 5 am, in the dark with a cool breeze. The lights on my cart are flashing, and my flashlight is in my hand. I move down the road, as I am the only one out there. I smell all the fresh-morning smells. Honeysuckle and fresh cut grass. It's silent, except for an occasional animal or bird sound off to the side of the highway. I go for miles with minimal cars/trucks, and watch the beautiful sunrise. It always get a few degrees cooler when the sun rises. It feels nice.
As it becomes light, this is my favorite time of the day. I can see all around me, others can see me. And it's crisp outside, and that temperature is perfect. I feel fresh from my sleep, and have eaten a good breakfast. I move as well as I can like this for many miles. Up and down hills, just relaxing. The traffic picks up, as people are traveling to work, and the trucks begin to go by. First thing, a man in a van pulls over, immediately hops out, and literally runs over to me. He's so excited to have brought me water! (I blogged about it yesterday, too). He's so genuine, and caring, that I even give him a hug before he leaves. His dad was a pastor at a local church and passed recently. He had told me his dad taught him to always help others. And he does. It was such a sweet beginning to a long day.
I travel on with no troubles. John had gotten in late the night before and was not starting til later. I'll see him, maybe that night? I'm now listening to music, talk with David, Gates and Sheryl throughout the morning. I'm feeling fine, as my sickness has passed.
There's a particular dump truck that goes by a time or two, and honks and waves. One direction he has a load of gravel, and coming back the other direction, his dump truck is empty. Every time (at least 12!) that day that he passes me, he honks frantically-enthusiastically and waves hard. I wave back, a big wave and big smile, as if I know him. This goes on the whole way to Poplar Bluff. And it brings a smile to my face every time.
During the day, I stop at a conv store. A customer there (lady), tells me she's seen me since Mountain View, and asks the usual questions. This occurs almost daily. The folks out here travel up and down US60 as their gateway to work and stores. She says she will pray for my safety, and we both depart.
I continue on, running, fast-walking, eating, and drinking. It's a good day, as I have everything I could possibly need. The perfect scenario.
Miles go by, and I get close to Poplar Bluff. A car pulls over, and a lady gets out. Her husband is in the car. She inquires about me, curiously. She's a lot like me. I loved talking with her. She's ridden a motorcycle, with her husband, across the U.S., and wanted to know what it was like running/walking. They, too, had seen me for miles. I enjoyed them very, very much. No judgement, just social interaction that was normal. If I lived here, I'd pick them as friends.
I moved through town, and unfortunately, there was no food places off US60. Only if you actually went IN town. That's okay, I have everything I need.
I continue down the road with about 8 miles to the BullWinkle Lodge. About 2 miles to my "Exit T", a Sheriff's Dept patrol car pulls over, lights on. Followed by a Trooper SUV, lights flashing, too. Luckily, they were some of the nicest yet. Curious as well, lots of questions. They nod at each other, wish me safe travels, and head back to their job of protecting and serving.
I move on, , and take my exit. I exit against traffic, (going up the entrance for cars). I take a left and there's the Lodge. It's a actual Lodge! Love it!!
I get there and check in. Turns out they DO have a first floor room, sweet! There's a refrigerator, microwave and coffee in the room. It's a clean, large room. Bonus? 24 hr conv store across the street, "bar/lounge" with food attached to the Lodge. I end up getting the best BBQ sandwich (2 pickles) there for dinner. To-go, and eat it in my room. I get supplies at the conv store. Shower, and relax.
This, my friends, is a easy, sweet, perfect day on the road. It happens now and then. I wanted to share with you how comfortable this experience can be.
There are hard days, easy days, and all the other in-between days. I'm just so happy to be out here doing this, with you along for the ride.
We had a great one yesterday,
Cyndi

You and I are traveling to Sikeston today, about 43 miles. We've got this. John is behind me about 10 miles, he didn't make it to the Lodge. But he's doing okay.

Missouri is so gorgeous, with all its wonders. I'm going to miss it. Tomorrow, we head to Kentucky!

No comments: