Monday, May 4, 2015

Day 34 / Night 34 - Seiling, OK

I have two things to say. First thing is......a repeat of what I say almost every day...... What a great day!!  And secondly: this crossing is in my DNA.
I find myself smiling, as I move along. I look around, notice things, see how people live, watch the terrain change, marvel over the beauty, and enjoy being in the moment. Today, when I went through Vici, it was such a pleasant experience. Nice, clean town. Downtown area well-maintained, and lots of convenience store options. I had lots of yummy food in my cart that David had brought for me. So I didn't end up stopping for supplies, I was able to keep moving and enjoy the scenery. Note: There really have been towns I am completely NOT fond of.  I try not to name names (Clovis), because I find it sounds negative. This trip is so good, I hate to bring out small things such as unpleasant towns (Pampa). My top 3 recent favorites are Miami, White Deer, and Panhandle.
The last 10 miles into Seiling, there were hundreds of wind turbines. And yes, it was crazy windy! And according to the people here, it's always this windy. I'm okay with wind, cold, hot, warm and climbing terrain. My kryptonite is cold rain. Everyday is a good day when there is NO cold rain. The warm rain is even "okay".
It was hard saying goodbye to David this morning. I'll see him again Sunday, along with Lauren. So it was easier knowing that I will see him again so soon. He brought me lots of goodies, and I was able to clear out some things in my cart to send back home with him. I slept better last night, than I have in quite awhile, simply because he was next to me. I felt secure, calm, and happy. It made a big difference in how I felt at the motel. Sometimes I don't allow myself to "feel" scared, when I might actually be scared, at a motel. I just try to move through the experience, and put fear aside. That seems to be how I deal with being alone in unusual situations. Being self-supported out here has brought out new defense mechanisms.
I am staying at the Seiling Motel. It's a old motel, but the room has been remodeled. It's oh-so-nice! John will be in later tonight. We are to meet at The Hills Cafe in the morning at 6am for breakfast, and we'll catch up, and cover our next few days route. US 60 twists and turns during Oklahoma. I will need to pay very close attention!!
Hygiene Report:
I did something a little different today. In an effort to give my feet a break from running shoes, in Vici, I put my Nike slides on. That was about 20 miles in them today. My feet got a break, so I fast walked it into Sealing, from Vici, for the most part. It felt good on my feet! My fingers are healing from the sun burn incident (I forgot to blog about it - about a week ago). It was not a pretty site. But they are better. I have showered, and am getting ready to lay down and rest. I had subway for dinner, as it was close across the street - and it sounded good to me. Double meat turkey with lots of veggies!!
Things are good. I know I keep saying that. But it's really good. I wish everyone could experience it to know how different things are - from being "on foot" vs in a car. I never realized the types of things I would notice.

Thanks for following along with me! We are getting closer to Enid......the half-way mark!!!
Cyndi



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love reading your posts and following your Instagram posts (I often find myself checking Instagram only to see your latest post).
I have a couple running sports post for your reading pleasure ...
1. Caroline is dominating in her soccer season - she plays goalie and has multiple shut outs this season and loves playing goalie (and getting the chance to play midfield - her words - as well, because she can run the whole field then).
2. On April 25, mom, dad, Kris and I participated in a local 5K - and I'm pleased to report that I PR'd by over a minute with a 23:25 ... I give you part of this PR, I pushed hard in training for it, and during the race because I would tell myself you were out running long miles day after day, I could handle sub-24 min of pain.

The girls and I will check your progress on Google Maps. My friends also now know where I get the 'crazy' love of running when I talk about her journey. You have many fans here in Cleburne.