Monday, June 1, 2015

Day 62 - Short Day

I did it! I didn't get up early, I slept til 7am (Eastern time), I had breakfast at the hotel's food area. And I had the best coffee I've had in days. It feels so good! It's raining, and will rain most of the day til later on. Since I'm only going a little ways (less than 20 miles), there's no hurry. I'm going to Mount Sterling. All hotels and food will be off the interstate, so I will go off route about a mile to get there. I will stay at the Days Inn tonight.
In a little while, I will get my cart rain ready. But it's nice to be able to let the morning traffic lessen, and be on the road during the middle of the day. This is essentially the first time I have done this. I can say it feels great.
My next couple of towns after that will be destinations of Morehead (tomorrow), and Greyson (Wednesday). Then......I'll cross into West Virginia. I'm so excited I can hardly stand myself. These 62 days thus far, have been days that I will never forget. If and when I finish, (I don't want to be too assuming just yet), just saying the words, "I ran across America " will never be able to exemplify the experiences and emotions I've experienced.
David gave me good news yesterday. He's flying to Virginia on the 13th. He will be with me that whole week as I work my way to the finish. That was a surprise, and I'm thrilled! There have been so many days I wanted him here, needed him here.......and to have it happen, is a dream come true. I've knew I would have to figure out things, many things, on my own, out here on the road. Having David around, will be a gift. He has been there for me this whole time. Hours and hours on the phone. Yesterday was a perfect example. He talked me through the last part of my day. Directions, support, and encouragement. Sometimes, I'm just so exhausted I don't feel like myself. That's when he's there to make sure I make it. This has been a team effort with everyone assisting, and supporting me. I thank you all. I feel like I've been on this journey, taking everybody with me.
John Update: As I was going through Lexington yesterday, John called to say his cart had broken down. The rumble strips had rumbled his front tire off. He has a "wobbly " wheel on his, while mine is fixed. His wheel fixture on the front broke. Luckily, he was close enough to Shannon, and she was able to help. I don't have details on it all yet, but it's fixed as of now. I know it was a tough day for John yesterday. He was only able to move along, less than 20 miles. So I will do the same today, but for different reasons (rain!). I'm glad he is okay, and this rain doesn't bother him. He will move well today. We both will need therapy for all this rumble strip rumbling! I'll never look at those the same.
Better get cracking. I've got a lot to do before I head out. My room looks like my cart exploded. No good reason either. I was just being lazy last night. And this morning.
Have a wonderful day! And hopefully next time we talk, I'll be in Mount Sterling.
Cyndi



1 comment:

Unknown said...

So excited for you that David will be there your last week!! And he will be there is less than TWO weeks from now!

So proud of you.....it's just amazing what you have done these past 62 days!