Monday, June 15, 2015

Night 75 / Day 76 - Sheryl 's arrival

Night 75 was spent in Midlothian, VA. What makes this ironic is that my sister, Sheryl, is arriving today (David will pick her up at the airport), and she lives in Midlothian, Texas. She will finish these final miles with me.
But first, yesterday.......I will tell you, being out of the mountains makes things easier. Pushing my cart up those mountains, was brutal, and puts a lot of pressure on my back. I noticed today, how that goes away so quickly. I stand up straighter, and the rolling roads are my friend. This is the first day I had someone here to "crew" me! I have been self-supported, and used to "thinking" about it all. With David here, I still have my cart, with food/drinks, etc, so I only need minimal things. I was treated to him getting me a Subway sandwich. Wow - this is easier with somebody else gathering things for me. He made sure I always had something to drink (extra), and was around every 5-10 miles. He went ahead to check in the motel, gather more supplies, put things inside the motel room, and on-call if I need anything. I love having this luxury, but I love having him "around me" somewhere, even more.
I headed out from Sprouces Corner area early, and would see David about 3-4 hours later. I'm good for quite a while, on my own. David packed the car, got himself breakfast, and eventually came looking for me on US60. He was not far down the road, he and his lead foot, and sure enough, was stopped by the police. He went up and over a hill, zooming along.....and BAM! Caught. The police pulled him over, and David was very nice. He recognized to the officer that he was going too fast (68 in a 55), and explained what I was doing, and explained he was trying to catch up to me. They talked a bit, the officer went to "run" his license, and came back to the car. He asks David, " Do you think you might have a problem with your speedometer?". David was caught off guard, but played along. (The officer had verbalized to David that he was grateful David was so nice about it all)). David's response was that it was a rental, so he "can't be sure?". The officer then gave David a ticket for a "faulty speedometer ". And that he would need to have it "checked". It's a $30.00 ticket- instead of hundreds - for the speeding ticket. That was nice!! Mr Lead Foot sure got lucky with that creative and thoughtful officer.
The day was smoking hot and humid. It was good, though. I enjoyed the new "rolling" terrain! I just kept moving. I saw the sign, at one point, that said Virginia Beach 142 miles. The reality of it all hit me yesterday. I'm ready. I can do this.
David was kind I to walk back the last 2 miles to walk that in with me, yesterday. I appreciated it so much. I loved being with him. We then got in the car, sweaty selves and all, and went to eat at Moes Mexican place. You know I wanted a quesadilla! Then I had a piece of cake from a grocery store. Back to the motel, and shower. David did my laundry, as they had laundry facilities there. So nice!! I appreciate him doing all this for me!
Fast forward to Monday morning....I'm back on the road early. Making my way across Richmond. I have about 125 ish miles left. OMGoodness. I've not had a lot of time to blog. Time seems to have re-allocated itself. I'm in different mindset. This is really happening.
Going to get down the road while 'the ball of fire' comes calling.
Enjoy your Monday,
Cyndi

Sheryl will be here later this afternoon. She'll need lots of sunscreen and fluids!

No comments: