Monday, June 8, 2015

Day and Night 69 - Twlight Zone

I'm not really sure when it happened. Things seemed to be going well, and then it took a quick, hard left turn. (Or right turn? I don't know). All I know is things changed. After church, I was not able to stay at that motel. I would post a picture on Instagram, but that's just not right - or fair. I will say.....I left. It was a blessing, as I knew there would be no traffic going up the mountains. It was really nice, to not be able to see what's in front of you. You could only "feel" the incline. It helps mentally, to not be able to see it. I liked that part. The mountains were dense. My Spot satellite tracker refused to ping. I have changed the batteries twice in the last two days, and trying to do what I can to help it. I'm very mad at it right now. But, to no avail does being mad - or changing the batteries change anything.  I did finally have a clearing in Ansted, enough to say, "I'm here! with my satellite tracker. Fine, good enough. So, off to Hico and Lookout, I go. I decide to go up to the motel in Lookout (Hillcrest motel, which is equivalent to the one the night before), but granted, it's morning time. I'm tired. The motel lady looks at me like I'm crazy (after all, I am in the Twlight zone), and says that "maybe the people in the motel room are staying another night.". I get the feeling she's shoo-ing me away. Okay, fine, I decide that I will keep moving. I understand it's odd.
About this time, after two motels of doom, I'm tired and sleepy, I've been afraid of wild animals for miles (which I saw none), and rain is coming later in the day, I feel very emotional. I call David. As soon as he says "Hello!", I have a epic-breakdown on the phone. Just hearing his voice was all it took. I'm boo hoo-ing, with no real true reason.....except my emotions are out of control. About that time, a bus driver (who I've seen off and on all morning, they are out on that stretch from 6:30-8:30am getting kids to school) sees me again and gives me a thumbs up. I'm obviously crying. He yells out the window, "Your doing great!". I know he knows I'm crying, and even he's trying to make me feel better. Dang it, I hate it when I get out-of-sorts. Back to David, I'm crying about silly things, "I can't make my satellite tracker spot!", "the motel sent me away", "rain is coming!". Nothing monumental. Just silly things because I'm tired. David is patient, comforts me, and I know I need to stop and pull myself together. I tell him bye, and pull over. I stop for awhile. I sit, gather myself, and give myself a talking to. "It can't be good ALL the time, just keep moving. That's all you can do, and it will make things better". Grit. Where did I leave my "grit" I so dearly need right now? Luckily, my emotional roller-coaster ride stopped. I got off it. And thank goodness. I was wearing myself out!
I want to first say, the mountains are not as bad as I thought. There were a lot of "downs". The shoulders were "okay" (marginal). I finally get to Rainelle. It's all a blur. I go through town ( after taking off my running shoes and putting on my Nike slides). Much better. Here we go again, motel #3 in the last 24-48 hrs that is not what I want. "Sorry, no AC". Really? I will say this. I opened the windows, and it's like camping, but I have a shower. And a wood tarp over my head. I'm protected from the thunderstorms coming. They'll be here soon. At least I'm not on the mountain. Ironically, what was bother me the most (my leg), has been on the back burner. It's still there, but it's amazing how other things distract my attention from it.
Where am I now? I'm in the motel in Rainelle, windows open, and a ice pack the lovely motel lady had in her freezer. She insists on taking me to get food back in town "when I'm ready". I better go soon, as they just put out the thunderstorm warning signs. Everything will be okay. Tomorrow will be a new day, and another opportunity to be one of those "great" days. I have faith and hope for that. I will be going towards Lewisburg, and then hopefully on to White Sulphur Springs. That's the plan. I intend to start early, knowing that rain is scheduled for the morning. Yet, they say it should clear up in the afternoon. I'll take that!
Hygiene report:
I showered, but that's about it. I'll get cleaned up, and back to normal when I get somewhere a little nicer. I intend to stay here minimally, and appreciate the roof over my head while the storms are here.
I've unpacked my cart minimally, and will have it rain ready when I leave in the morning.
I better go let her know I'm ready to go back in town.....before it gets too messy outside. I appreciate her taking me!!
Every day can't be golden, but I'm happy to be where I am, and I made it safe. That's what counts the most. It's not always going to be smooth sailing. Then everyone would be out here doing this, right?
Cyndi

1 comment:

Kawika said...

Grit?
You eat grit for breakfast!
You've got more grit than a sandpaper factory! More grit than the beach.
You're like BSF, you don't make grit, you make grit grittier!